Satellite receiver/DSL speed and filters...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by offthahook, Apr 27, 2007.

1. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Man, this is on my nerves... I have a dual tuner, dual DVR DISH setup in my computer room. I also have a 2Wire DSL modem on my PC. I noticed my Internet was SLOW, so I ran some of the online DSL speed tests. The fastest Download speed I got was 114K and I usually between 9K and 60K. I called ATT TS and they did some tests and said there was interference on my line. She asked "Are you on satellite?" I am and I have been. On the dual receiver, you are supposed to hook the receiver to a phone line. For some reason, lately, that has been killing my Internet speed. When I unplug the satellite receiver from the phone jack, my DSL speed is super fast. Between 2.5 and 4MB on the downstream. It screams.

So, whose fault is this and what should I do? I switched jack filters and the satellite receiver still kills my DSL speed. I'd rather not pay $6 per month extra because I don't have a phone line hooked up to my DISH receiver. Plus, it's all in a bundle from ATT (satellite, phone, and DSL)! Just curious if there is a "special" filter or something else I can do to have fast internet and the phone line hooked to my receiver... Is this a known issue? KInda funny how she asked if I was on satellite right off the bat. I can't just unhook and rehook the phone line for the satellite receiver. Hopefully, someone has a solution. :bowdown:

2. Create

Create :free at last:

In order to keep the satellite people happy all you really have to do is plug it once a week or two, definitely once per billing cycle at the least.

3. offthahook

offthahook New Member

That's good info. I've talked to a few people "in the know" about the phone line and the dual tuner from DISH. I've heard that DISH "prefers/recommends" it, they don't really care, they do care, they might charge you, they might not charge you, it's according to how often you use THAT receiver, etc. I went about a year before I got charged the fee. I'm getting that silly warning about avoiding the fee... "connect it to a phone line" when I turn on the set and the line is out of the jack.

Anyone know how long I should connect it for per month? An hour, a day? If it is over a couple days, I'll have to see what's another solution. DISH did tell me they only require the phone connection on the dual tuner. Of course, PPV needs a phone hookup as well. Good to know it doesn't always have to be hooked up. :cool:

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, there is such thing as a "filter" buy one. They're like $5 max.

5. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Yeah, I have 2 and they both cause the slow speed...

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

bad phone jack or cord, then.

7. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I had a bad filter that did that, when ever I plugged the phone into that filter DSL speeds went in the pooper. If nothing was in the filter it was fine. Might be your case?!

8. offthahook

offthahook New Member

That's kinda what ATT thought by their remote analysis. Then, she said I would have to talk to the line maintenance dept. and there will be a charge "if it isn't ATT's fault." I'm sure it would have been on my end, so I got out another filter and still lost DL/UL speed. My friend who works for Verizon as a tech. said both filters could have been bad and to get another filter. He said the satellite receiver does put a load on the phone line and that a bad filter will kill DSL speed everytime. He said if it isn't the filters, it could be a pretty big deal to troubleshoot and fix the issue.:x:

9. Create

Plug it in overnight. The reciever knows it's past due to communicate and likes to work in the wee hours of the morning.

I've set mine up using an electrical timer normally used for a lamp that's hooked into a phone line relay. Timer turns on power to relay once per week for four hours, 2-6AM. The phone line is only hooked up then.

Jolly's right, you have a bad component somewhere. Rather than tshooting, I half-assed this one and band-aid'ed it with junk I had sitting in the garage.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try maybe connecting two DSL filters in series to enhance the filtering.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I hope that was a joke deuse. that is such a fucking stupid idea.

12. Create

Don't rail him for trying to come up with a creative solution. He qualified it with a "maybe"

The filters would have to be hooked up in parallel but it's not going to fix the issue.

13. deusexaethera

Okay, smart guy, do better. So far you've suggested that he buy something he plainly stated he already has, then you suggested he do something he plainly stated he's already tried. I might not be intimately familiar with the inner workings of bandpass filters, but at least I'm trying to help the guy.

Asshole.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I may be an asshole. But I'm right.

15. deusexaethera

Right about what? You haven't suggested anything that the OP hasn't already thought of! And since he still has the problem, I daresay that means you're wrong.