satellite radio quality

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sfam198, Nov 17, 2004.

1. sfam198

sfam198 John Petrucci Is God

I'm listening to sirius on my free 3-day internet trial period. I got one for both sirius and xm to compare. I'm definitely leaning toward sirius, but my question is this: The sound quality on the internet stream sounds like absolute shit. Probably equivalent to a 56kb/s mp3. I'm assuming its just compressed a lot for the internet stream and that the actual quality when I buy the receiver and hook it up will be much better. Am I correct in my assumption? If not, I really see no reason in even bothering to get it.

Also, when I do become a subscribing member, does the internet stream get become better quality as well, or will it stay the same? Thanks.

2. iNteGraz92

iNteGraz92 trolling apple sackriders is just too damn easy

i think it all depends on the station you're listening to and how much compressing they're using

3. Dr.JuliusHibbard

Dr.JuliusHibbard New Member

IMO, SIRIUS sounds like a good quality mp3 in my car ... like better than 128kb/s

4. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

dont use what the web sites sound like to base your decision on either company

To me XM sounds better than sirius..

I heard both and am partial to XM in any vehicle ive heard it in BUT it does also come down to the station.. Station 20 whcih is the TOP 20 on xm sounds like shit the rest of them sound awesome.. To me on Sirius i can hear alot of compression etc