SATA n00b, these drives, cables, RAID controller compatible?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MrBrotato, Aug 9, 2007.

1. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Last time I built a computer I had never heard of ATA, ultra ATA, Serial ATA, SATA or any of this, I don't know what its all about really, but I just need some good drives mirroring each other in a computer I already have, this is all compatible, correct?

Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600JS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM x2

GENERIC 18" 2-Head Red SATA (SERIAL ATA 150) Cable Model SERIAL ATA 18 - OEM

Koutech PSA150 PCI SATA Dual Channel Host Controller Card - Retail

Also, I will be putting these into a computer with IDE drives currently, will I be able to boot from these new drives or will I still have to boot from an IDE drive connected to the motherboard? Thanks.

EDIT: also looking at the pics I see the power connection for these drives is different? Does it come with something that connects to the standard power cable from my PS?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

switch to this controller card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102061

Other than that, you will be fine as long as your power supply has the SATA power adapters. If it doesn't, you can get adapters. These ones will work fine.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812104652

Once you hook everything up to the system, you need to change the boot order in the bios to set it off of an add-in card. You WILL need a floppy drive and disc so you can load the raid drivers in windows setup.

3. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Wow, that answers everything, cool thanks man. This will be fun :).