SATA interference.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Sep 25, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've got a spare motherboard that I'm going to try swapping into my main rig, but since I'll have to re-activate Windows after I do that, I'd rather eliminate any other possible causes of my slow RAID first. (for those that missed the saga, I think my nForce chipset and my RAID controller are playing dirty.) The only thing left that I haven't tried is replacing the cables, but I can't find a good source of shielded internal SATA cables -- only shielded external SATA cables. Which begs the question, if I have three SATA cables zip-tied together, would that generate enough EMI to degrade the signal quality, or is searching for shielded cables a waste of time and money?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would imagine that the reason they are shielded is not so much so that outside EMI interferes with it, but so it doesn't interfere with outside devices (ie speakers). It's been a long time since electronics, but since it's digital it's not as susceptible to interference.

3. deusexaethera

Well, it's a moot point anyway. I unbundled my SATA cables and the speed is still shitty, so the next step is a motherboard swap. Good old VIA chipsets, here I come.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i think Siig makes shielded SATA cables. their eSATA cables are awesome.

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Shielding isnt very important with SATA, the signals are balanced.

6. deusexaethera

Well, I swapped out the motherboard last night and it made exactly zero difference in the performance of the RAID array -- not to mention, most of the other subsystem scores were noticeably lower than before. Good thing I made a backup of the Windows folder and the Registry before I did all that, so I can put the nForce board back in.

That pretty much brings it down to the hard drives, the cables, or something in Windows itself. I guess I'll replace the cables next, but I might just give up too. What a fucking waste of time.

- - -

On another note, does anyone need a full-ATX board for an Athlon XP, assuming anyone else on Earth has any that still work?

7. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Or it could be what everyone has been saying all along - Raid 3 sucks.

8. deusexaethera

This statement completely ignores the fact that the exact same RAID array scored 4x faster a year ago.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

My hard drive scores (RAID and non-RAID) are lower than they should be. I have transfers freeze all the time. I know its something thats running in the background but haven't figured out what it is yet (haven't had time). I say this because in safe mode my discs transfer normally. Did you check to see if you have any improvement in safe mode?

10. deusexaethera

No, I didn't; I suppose I could try, but I don't know if PCMark will run in Safe Mode.

It's worth a shot, though.

11. deusexaethera

I put the previous motherboard back in with no hard work (fortunately I planned ahead and backed-up the Registry and the Windows folder before swapping the mobo), and all I can say is this:

RUN THE COMPUTER AT LEAST ONCE WITH THE CASE OPEN.

I wasted an hour troubleshooting the reinstall of the motherboard because the machine kept turning off after a few minutes, and each time I checked it, I inexplicably closed the case before starting the machine again. Finally I snapped out of it and turned it on with the case open, and what do you know? The CPU fan wasn't plugged in right. Careless mistake * Another careless mistake = Wasted time.

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

This was gone over in the previous thread as well, man.

13. deusexaethera

Yes, it's been gone over many times. RAID3 isn't widely used because it's not any better at handling multiple simultaneous transactions than a single disk is, but it's still much faster than a single disk at handling individual data requests. Given that, combined with how much less expensive it is to implement RAID3 over RAID5, it's still a viable end-user RAID solution. And my point still stands, that it doesn't matter how much RAID3 "sucks", because the problem I'm having now only started happening recently.

14. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

lrn2troubleshoot

lol, you are the worst at this. fucking SATA interference. lollers. you're in so far over your head it isn't even funny and that was apparent once you chose RAID3.

15. deusexaethera

In that case, please tell me what troubleshooting I should do that I haven't done already.

16. deusexaethera

Thanks for the help trouphaz. :rolleyes:

Well, I swapped out the cables and that didn't help either. So, I've swapped everything except the hard drives themselves; I guess that means it's either the drives or Windows, but that still doesn't explain the deal with the weird failures while trying to install Windows. I think I'm content to give up at this point.

17. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

sorry, man, but you are already off in the woods. too late for me to get you on the right track. maybe you need to get an oscilloscope.

18. deusexaethera

Either that or you're full of shit and don't know what's wrong either. There's no point chasing down possible software errors until you know the hardware is stable.

19. deusexaethera

I ran memtest86+ for two hours and then canceled after I got sick of waiting. So whoever it was that suggested it might be the RAM at one point, it's not that either.

Also, PCMark won't run in Safe Mode, so I can't see if that makes any difference.

20. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i have no clue what is wrong with your system, but you're going about everything the wrong way, including the initial system build.

21. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Just to make sure.....

Your RAID controller settings haven't changed (ie: disk cache enable/disable, I/O cache, adaptive read, etc...). I know I was having ridiculous rebuild rates with my 1TB drives and found out that somehow my rebuild rate got turned back to default when I put in the drives (default is only 30% chip usage).

22. deusexaethera

Looking at the NetCell Storage Manager, auto-rebuild is enabled, always check parity is also enabled, and rebuild priority is 100%. (it isn't really 100%, I can still use the machine during a rebuild, but whatever.) Disk and I/O caching can't be changed; there's no interface for that. It is, after all, a RAID controller intended for people who wouldn't necessarily use one normally.

trouphaz, what is the right way to troubleshoot this, if the way I'm doing it is wrong?