SATA II ExpressCards

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Jan 15, 2009.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Who has a SATA II ExpressCard for their MBP? Looking for some reviews of them. Anyone having driver issues and what kinda speeds are you getting?

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No one has a SATA card? Seriously?

I'm looking at the Sonnet card but it seems that one you have to unmount before putting the machine to sleep on anything but the newest MBPs. The Pro one seems to be the way to go for total speed but it's spendy and also lacks the ability to boot from it (although I can't see myself needing to do so). It's also the fastest one I've found by a good margin.

Some people recommend Rosewill but that's only cause it's cheap. Driver support doesn't look good and speeds are shit compared to other cards.

3. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I was thinking of getting the Rosewill one at first, but I think I'll check out the Sonnet card. Link to the one that you're thinking of getting and the pro one as well?

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Regular
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_sata_express34.html

Pro
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/temposataproexpress34.html

Nice review of the Pro here. Wish there was a review of the regular one.
    http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/sonnet/pro-expresscard/

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

SIIG and IOGEAR also make cards. Looks like they may utilize the same processor. LaCie makes one but I won't touch anything they make.

My boss has a FirmTek card and likes it. He has had issues with it causing kernal panic when the machine goes to sleep but at Macworld they told him they have new drivers out (although didn't say if they'll fix the issue so he has to give them a try). Edit: nevermind "Revision Notes
    - Firmware version 5.3.2 adds compatibility for Oxford 926/936 and the MacBook Pro (late 2008).
    - Firmware version 5.3.1 corrects a Leopard wake on sleep issue."

6. SugarCoatedSour

7. SugarCoatedSour

Oh wtf, $300 for the Pro.

:io:

8. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I have a PCIe one for my Mac Pro. It's a Sonnett. For some reason the drive shows up as a SCSI drive though, and can't be used for booting. Not really a problem for me, but something to ask about if you need booting capability.

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Pretty normal price for the cards. Only a couple of the cheaper ones run less then that but they have pretty shitty drivers and lack of support from what I've seen.

Booting isn't a big deal for me. Don't have any plans to boot from an external at any point.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest