sata/ide and mobo questions...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DoucheBag, Dec 6, 2004.

1. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

first off.. im a little new to this.. so please.. bear with me..
    In your opinions... which do you prefer.. and think is better.. SATA or and IDE connection.
    Do sata (lets say harddrives) have to be connected in a RAID arrangment? Or can it just be "daisy chained" like you typically would with 2 (or more) HDD's?
    Also.. can you use both ide AND sata connections if a mobo has support for both? For example.. can i use regular IDE optical drives (3) AND SATA hard drives (2)? Or is it a one or the other type ordeal?
    Is there any sort of "downside" to having sata drives not configured in a RAID? Id really like to avoid that if possible... because for one.. im not too familiar with it.. and secondly.. ive heard bad stories.

2. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

ok....sata and ide for your purposes are the same thing. you cannot daisy chain a sata drive. each sata drive must use its own channel on the mobo/pci card. right now it comes down to price. the are about the same so i say its up to you. the sata cables are much neater as they are very skinny and have nice connectors on them. dont let anyone fool you into saying sata is faster because it is not. yes the bus can handle 150mb/s but you will never reach over 100mb/s burst speed. same with the ide bus its not saturated either. i would say go with sata drives i have 4 of them on an asus p4c800-E deluxe mobo. 2 of which are in a raid0 configuration. just shop around and see what you like. if you want to future proof yourself go sata because its the next wave and will be years before it is outdated.

3. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

no there is no downside to not having raid either. for what you are doing its stupid actually.

4. lolopop

lolopop Guest

go with PATA (ide), the price/capacity cant be beat. You wont notice the performance with a SATA generation I compared to PATA. SATA II however might be more noticable (600mbps)i believe only the CQs have been showing up now- 150 version. seagate has one. IF you RAID mirror critical stuff than SATA might be considered as you can hotswap. You can daisy chain PATA up to (2) device. SATA only (1) but you can run longer cables than the 18" limit on PATA.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Everything I build now is SATA. Maybe I am losing it, but when I ghost images in DOS, it's faster than IDE. P4P800 boards support up to 4 independant drives or 2 + 1 Raid Array.

6. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

7. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

why do you need 3 CD drives?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

*definitely* get sata. Even the most conservative individual admits that it's at least as fast (although every test I've ran shows it to be faster) than IDE. Plus the cabling is infinitely better. Couple that with no bottlenecks due to daisy chaining, and you've got some major wins.

I highly recommend that any new hard drives you buy be SATA.

9. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

like i said before.. im a little unfamiliar with alot of this stuff. Could you take a look at the motherboard in my previous post.. and let me know whats up? Also.. can i have both IDE connections AND SATA connections on one mobo if it has support for both interfaces? Like maybe run the cd drives daisy chained with IDE.. and my HDD's through a sata setup?

10. kiLLj0y

kiLLj0y New Member

Yes, you can use SATA and PATA (ide) at the same time. I use both my IDE channels, and SATA, I just had to set an option in the BIOS to have both active.

Now why the hell woudl you need 3 cd drives?!

11. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

well.. 98% of my cd burning is from cd to cd... so with 2.. i can just burn frmo one to the other... instead of having to wait for it to copy.. then put in the blank disc. you know.. the set it and forget it method. and the 3rd one is a dvd player/burner. i mean shit.. its convenient and still pretty cheap. so i went for it. im an overkill kinda guy.:o

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Should have gone with a CDROM or DVDROM and the DVD-RW. the DVD-RW can burn CDs

13. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

i went with a cd rom/cdrw-dvdrom/dvdrom-cdrw-dvdrw like i said.. im an over kill kinda person.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

a 52x CD-RW burns cd's faster than any 16X DVD-RW... food for thought.

Personally, I run a CD-RW/DVD-R combo and a DVD+/-RW drive.