SATA HD and IDE HD Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by accordianex, Feb 10, 2006.

1. accordianex

accordianex www.EMXsays.com

Long story short, i had two IDE HD's one crashed, wouldnt let me partition it to install windows on it, so i could get my files off of it, so i bought a small 80gig SATA drive to run programs on then have my two IDE hds for files.

install the SATA with the two IDE hds not hooked up.

everything is good

then i hook up the two IDE, now wont boot, so i figure its cause the master IDE has XP on it.

so i switch the two, the master is now the slave, the slave is now the master

now it will boot up, and in the BIOS screen, it shows all three hard drives

but in windows, under windows explorer it is not there, only the master IDE is there, not the slave IDE (that had the XP on it before).

Now I dont want to format that drive YET, i need to get some files off of it first.

What to do?

2. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

If a drive is unpartitioned it won't show up in windows at all (apart from device manager). So just to clarify, in explorer you can see the SATA and one IDE drive, but not the crashed IDE drive? Thats exactly how it should be, to get data off the crashed drive you'll have to use a data recovery program like GetDataBack, which should be able to recover most of the data, but probably not all. Once you've got the data you need, re-partition and format the crashed drive and it will show up in explorer. Same thing happened to me a while back, bloody annoying when drives go south on you.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Control Panel => Administrative Tools => Computer Management => Disk Management

Right-click on the drive that isn't showing up in Explorer and see if there is an option to Import it. If there is, do it. If not, report back with whatever info you can get from the Disk Manager.