SATA drive help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dan avoN7, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I just purchased a new SATA drive. mobo is a msi k8n neo 2 platinum. I installed the sata drive and started my computer, windows said it detected the new drive and all that stuff. however it does not show up in my computer and when i click to add new hardware it shows on the list but says its running properly. bios i have every sata slot enabled.

any ideas on what I should do? i'm not sure if i have my sata drivers installed or not, went to msi's site and it says this

"NOTE: For SATA/RAID setup, please install the "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER" & "NVIDIA Nforce Storage Controller" at one time."

no idea on where i should download these, i downloaded the sata drivers but there's not .exe to install them.

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You need to partition and format the drive before you can use it.

3. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

yes i know that. but i cant even see the drive in my computer. shouldn't i be able to at least see it then i can partition it? I even downloaded that disk wizard thing from seagate and it wont show in the list of drives. my other 2 sata drives (raptors running in raid 0) all work fine. just this one new single sata drive im trying to get working wont show, but its weird how windows said found new hardware and shows it in the hardware list.

4. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

holy shit. just as im about to throw this new drive on the ground and smash it, it works. opened disk wizard again and right away it pops up saying drive is ready to partition.

not sure why it didnt do this the first time, oh well.

thanks guys!!

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

So Disk Management doesn't list it?

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Of course it does, he just didnt look there.

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i just got a 500gig sata in the mail today, i'll be installing it tonight/tomorrow :noes:

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

500GB? On a single disk? Damn, what's with you people? Why would anybody put that much data on a single drive with no redundancy? Buy a 5-port RAID card, buy 3x 250's for the price of your 500, plug them in, RAID them, then add two more 250's later on for a whopping 1 terabyte of online storage -- all while ensuring that it won't all go to shit if one disk fails.