SATA drive help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Imtoodumbtothinkofone, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Imtoodumbtothinkofone New Member

So i just built a new computer and everything works fine, except for the SATA drive. For some reason the drive isn't spinning up. Now i know the drive works as i plugged it into another computer and it all went fine. But when its plugged into my new computer i get nothing.

The interesting thing is when i pulled off the sata cable (the power was still attached) and turned the computer on, i could feel and hear the drive spinning up.

The hard drive is Western Digital Caviar

Any ideas?

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Did you try both SATA ports on your motherboard?

Is there any setting in the BIOS to enable or diable SATA?

Besides that, I would make sure both cables have a good connection.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Some SATA drives also have two ways of powering - one through an integrated wider looking SATA cable, the other thru the traditional molex cable, with the narrow SATA connector. You should NOT power it up both ways.

4. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

I have tried both ports on the motherboard, gone through the CMOS and made sure anything sata related is enabled and am just using the one power connector, the old style 4 pin one.

It definitely seems like a motherboard thing. I guess I will try clearing the CMOS and seeing what happens, but after that im lost. Maybe the motherboard is just stuffed. Its a Gigabyte 7VM400-RZ if thats any help to anyone.

5. BoardTracker

BoardTracker BoardTracker Kicks A$$

as you suggested, it might be a motherboard issue. Try installing the latest firmware though before ditching the motherboard. It helps in many cases.

One correction though.. CMOS is a type of memory. The more correct name for what you refer to is BIOS rather than CMOS, (although it is many times refered to as CMOS). BIOS memory used to be based on MOS (later on CMOS), but it not necesseraly the case anymore AND even when so, the CMOS is only the memory device rather than the Basic Input Output System (BIOS) itself.

6. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Update

Well I sent the motherboard back to the store for testing. When they tried to test it, they couldnt get it to work at all. So they sent out a replacement board.

The store said they tested it all before sending it and apparently it all worked fine, trouble is i'm still having the same problem.

Seeing as i'm still having the same problem, it makes me think i've done something wrong. But I have no idea where i may have gone wrong as i can use the computer perfectly with an IDE hard drive connected.

I have also noticed that when i turn the computer off (ive been using it with an IDE HD) the lights on the back for the network are still on as though the computer was still on. Plus the keyboard light stayed on, which leads me back to thinking ive done something wrong. ie grounding issue or similar.

Any ideas?

7. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

Anyone.....anyone?

Bueller?

8. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

did you install the SATA RAID drivers when you installed windows?

9. Noah

Noah The things we know best are the things we haven't OT Supporter

When I added another HDD to my PC, I had to turn the SATA plug on in the BIOS. Check there.

10. Imtoodumbtothinkofone

I cant getup to the stage of installing the RAID driver in windows as the HD isnt even recognised as being there. It doesnt even start to spin up when i turn the computer on.

Yes, SATA is enabled in the bios.

Im thinking ive installed something incorrectly or theres some earth issue