Sanding/polishing after spraying?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by droopz, Nov 3, 2005.

1. droopz

droopz New Member

Hey guys :wavey:

Just a quick one regarding the steps since spraying my car. I've just finished respraying it in 2-pack PPG (3 coats) and have just noticed a few bits of dust that seem to have landed on the roof.

Its doesnt bother me greatly, but if there was a method of sanding/cutting it out i figured id give it ago. Regardless of the dust, there is also a very minor orange peel i can see and wanted to know what steps/process I should take to remove it.

Cheers :bigthumb:

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

3. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

Whatever you do, don't sand with anything coarser than 1200 grit, and preferably nothing coarser than 1500 grit. Wetsand with 2000, then buff. If that doesn't work, try 1500, then buff. Only use 1200 after 2000 and 1500 weren't strong enough.

4. droopz

droopz New Member

Awsome... thanks for the tip!

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

More tips:

1. Cut your sandpaper longitudely in half, then fold it into thirds. Soak it in water for at least 5 minutes before sanding the car.
    2. Clean your paint thoroughly before wetsanding. After a wash, follow up with glass cleaner and clean towels.
    3. Sand in a circular motion to simulate the motion of your buffer.
    4. After wetsanding and cleaning, use a low-grit compound when buffing. If it's still dull, use a medium-grit. If it's still dull, use the heavy grit. After using the medium, follow with the light. After using heavy, follow with the medium then the light.

Here's a great forum dedicated specifically to wetsanding:
    http://autobody101.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=388faa107d3b3f43d057471e6fbfb4dd