GUN San Jose out $800k after LEO's shoot dogs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Aug 24, 2006.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

San Jose agrees to pay Hells Angels $800,000 for dogs killed by cops
    Aug 23, 2006

San Jose agrees to pay Hells Angels $800,000 for dogs killed by cops

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - The city of San Jose agreed to pay nearly $800,000 to the Hells Angels motorcycle club to settle claims police needlessly killed three dogs during raids on club members' homes.

Ninety officers participated in the raids on the club's San Jose headquarters and nine members' homes following a 1997 killing at a strip club.

Steve Tausan, a bouncer and Hells Angels member, was later acquitted of murder and none of the bikers whose homes were targeted was ever charged.

In a lawsuit, the club claimed the dogs were killed after police refused to give owners and caretakers a chance to secure the animals.

"We sincerely hope the city will engage in changes to its policy and training to make sure that this doesn't happen again," said Karen Snell, one of the club's lawyers, after the settlement was announced Tuesday.

San Jose City Attorney Rick Doyle said the city was forced to settle because an appeals court ruled shooting the dogs violated constitutional protections against unreasonable search and seizure.

"Given the totality of the circumstances and the court's decision, it's a decision we can live with," Doyle said.

Another jurisdiction, Santa Clara County, Calif., earlier paid about $990,000 to settle claims brought against the sheriff for the raids.

www.breitbart.com/news/na/cp_w082377A.xml.html

2. Gimik

Gimik New Member

The part that worries me about this story is all the no-knock stuff that went on when no one ended-up being guilty. Maybe I'm just paranoid though.

3. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

They need to stop with that shit. If a bunch of cops EVER perform a no knock warrant on me then they better have a damn good reason. If I don't get convicted of something major then I'll be suing the living shit out of the city. That's if I survive the actual raid of course. They use this "they'll flush the evidence" bullshit excuse but shouldn't it need to be a REALLY big bust for them to justify breaking into someone's house unannounced to arrest them? I wouldn't think that the perps would have time to get rid of everything if it was that major.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

The cops just want to make it home at the end of the shift.

Of course, knocking on my front door and speaking with me like an adult might make that easier for all of us, as opposed to kicking in the door in the middle of the night...

5. 007

007 Riden, sliden, whipin and dippin, my chrome strips

The people they searched has nothing to do with the "case" they have been shooting dogs in the bay area for along time.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cops love shooting dogs for some reason :dunno:

7. Big Daddy

Big Daddy New Member

Sucks when they no-knock the wrong house or had bad intel..