GUN San Francisco Pays NRA $380,000

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KIDRR, Feb 11, 2009.

1. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

San Francisco Pays NRA $380,000 for
    Successful Proposition H Lawsuits
    Total Tab to City for Unsuccessful Defense of Illegal Gun Ban Approaches $800,000
    The City of San Francisco has paid $380,000 to the National Rifle Association (NRA) as reimbursement for legal fees incurred while striking down Proposition H, passed by San Francisco voters in November 2005.

“Freedom and common sense prevailed in San Francisco. Proposition H was a foolish scheme by anti-gun politicians to disarm only the law-abiding in San Francisco,” said NRA chief lobbyist Chris Cox. “NRA promised we would do everything we could to overturn this ill-conceived gun ban, and I am pleased to say that we have delivered on that promise. We will now put these funds back into use to advance self-defense civil rights in legislatures and courts.”

Combined with more than $200,000 in fees paid to City lawyers defending the ordinance and an equal value of lawyers time donated to the City for the unsuccessful defense of this case, the total costs to City taxpayers in defending against Proposition H, a civilian disarmament attempt, approaches $800,000.

Proposition H would have banned civilian handgun possession by city residents and banned the sale, transfer or distribution of any firearm or ammunition within the city. In addition, all San Francisco residents would have been jailed for a minimum of 90 days and up to six months if caught in possession of a handgun. All gun and ammunition sales and transfers would have been prohibited, and the one gun store and two antique firearm auction houses in San Francisco would have been forced out of business. Additionally, since action films involved the transfer of real prop firearms, no such films could have been made in the city.

"This is a tremendous victory, and we are thankful for the efforts of Chuck Michel and his legal team,” continued Cox. “Regrettably, San Francisco taxpayers have to bear the considerable financial burden caused by city officials’ selfish efforts to play politics with the self defense rights of law-abiding people.”

The lawsuits that struck down Proposition H were funded primarily by NRA and were supported by an NRA-led coalition of like-minded self-defense civil rights groups including the Second Amendment Foundation, California Association of Firearm Retailers, Law Enforcement Alliance of America, and San Francisco Veterans Police Officers Association. Amicus brief efforts were led by the California Rifle & Pistol Association and joined by Gun Owners of California, The Madison Society, American Entertainment Armorers Association, San Francisco Police Officers Association, Pink Pistols, and California Sportsman’s Lobby.

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

3. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

The gays are at it again.

4. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Nra should hand that out to members and be like " sorry CA's fucking you all on state tax return."

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i would have rather it gone to court to establish the case law, but any win is a good win

6. KIDRR

They should put that money towards overturning the "awb" and "high cap" mag restrictions

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

meanwhile gavin is whining about how fucking in debt the city is. good job dicknose, spending almost a million dollars trying to restrict rights :ugh2:

8. KIDRR

While trying to help legalize gay marriage :mamoru:

9. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

This had me rolling for some reason :rofl:

10. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

It's not the gays that pulled this shit, most of them want to be able to own guns, it's the fucking stupid liberal kids and their parents that fuck it up.

11. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Gays are at what again? I'm pretty sure I saw the Pink Pistols as part of the amicus brief effort, and they, of all gun owners in CA would have the most likelihood of conflict of interest.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Cool, that's where I'm getting the money for new steel targets for my club.

I received the letter from the NRA last week that they have approved my request for $3,000 worth of new steel targets for my Club. :cool: woot, woot

Not having to submit for new steel targets on this years USPSA Budget = priceless.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009