SAN and ethernet and IDE

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by keleko, Jul 11, 2005.

1. keleko

keleko yes, he is

so i need to build a box that has a dozen ide drives and an ethernet port - and as little as possible between

i was thinking of a SNAP! server of some sort, but that's FAR too much $$$ (and snap servers suck anyway)

i'd rather not have it as a full pc with an OS loaded, but i can't think of any other way of doing it since *something* has to configure access to the drives

ideas?

2. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

is this going to have heavy load on it? if not, i'd say pick up an old P3 or K6 500~733mhz with like 384 pc 100/133 sdram a few controller cards and fill up a server case with your drives then run a knoppix of similar distro off of a cd that just mounts and shares the drives and has little to nothing else installed.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

light weight (< 500MB) linux server distro for the win. Throw it on a bootable CF card and you have an uber-fast distro.

4. keleko

keleko yes, he is

both options are exactly what i don't want to do

i.e., have a full pc with an os running
    don't need that much...

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

PC w/ linux on it is going to be cheaper than buying a specific device that simply sits on the network.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

SAN?

Are you talking about building your own NAS? All NAS appliances have a light flavor of either windows or linux, mostly linux. There's no way around it. Use whatever platform you are comfortable with. It's not going to make much of a difference anyway since you're using IDE drives and, I assuming, 100 mbit ethernet. These two will be the 1st bottlenecks before the OS tuning has any affect on it. If money and your network infrastructure allows, I would get a gig-e card over copper. Or worse, trunk,netrain,team your nics into one aggregate interface.

7. keleko

keleko yes, he is

crontab, exactly right

idea is to start with a single NAS, and add more as the need comes - making a SAN

$ available for this project = $5 or less

ok, so $5 isn't realistic, but the idea is *super cheap*

8. stoliohranj

stoliohranj beautiful fucking tits man

and your answer is an old computer with a bunch of controller cards running linux. there is nothing else aside from dedicated EXPENSIVE hardware that can do that.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Well, your terminology of "SAN" is incorrect. SAN, Storage Area Network, may mean a network of storage to some, but it is really not. Managers and IT newbies usually make this mistake. It really has nothing to do with a network or group of storage devices at all. It's definition is not like LAN or WAN. It is not a group of NAS'. NAS' are simply hefty file servers that are fucking annoying to backup. But that's another rant.

SAN attached storage is either ip/fiber/scsi based and uses the scsi or iscsi protocol. Not tcp/ip, which is what NAS uses. SAN attached storage does not need a head, i.e. NAS appliance to control, manage, and administrate the storage to other machines. Most SAN's are controller based and and are headless compared to the NAS aspect. SAN attached storage presents the luns to the hosts just like any logical device. The host then takes the device and sees and builds a file system on it as if it was a local device. It's not the same as network attached storage where one has to mount the shared file system via samba, cibs, nfs...

10. keleko

keleko yes, he is

well yeah, that's the whole idea

make a SAN out of a bunch of NAS, using ethernet - headless
    at some point my server will take it over and see just a single drive with a LOT of space

guess that's just not going to happen with the $ and hardware i have to work with :(