Samsung Omnia - yay/nay?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by :eek5:, Aug 7, 2009.

1. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

I'm eligible for a new phone with Verizon so I've been looking at the Samsung Omnia lately. I don't want to pay for the data plan and I don't need my phone for business so no BB for me.

The Omnia looks pretty clean and it has wifi, which is a plus. Reviews for the most part seem positive, although people say it acts sluggish at times.

I *could* wait for the Omnia 2 to come out, which is supposed to be pretty soon, but I'm not sure if it's worth the wait + increased price. What do you guys think?

2. Mint

Mint Active Member

Had mine since may, youll still need to get the data plan with it.
    Overall im very happy with it, very customizable and theres some pretty cool apps you can get for it.

Since ive had it, in my memory its only froze twice

3. :eek5:

wait, what? i thought you only need a data plan for blackberries :confused:

4. Mint

Mint Active Member

Nope, they have it you need a data plan for all smart phones if i remember right

5. Coddle

Coddle New Member

Yeah, you have to have the data plan with the Omnia. I have one, and I love it. If you can do without the tactile qwerty keyboard then it's great.

Good camera. I flashed my Omnia to Verizon's "Official" rom release (CC03), which fixed some things (elegidly), and also unlocked the GPS to all applications.

Google Maps with GPS is awesome.

I flashed my phone to the latest WM6.5, to a slimmed down verision which makes the Omnia very quick. Also free'd up a ton of memory/storage.

I'm running SPB Mobile Shell 3.0, which pretty much covers the WM6 completely. Making it very finger friendly.

6. Coddle

Coddle New Member

I believe the Omnia, along with all of their other PDA phones are now $99. But if you can hold out on the Omnia 2, I would. It's going to have 480x800 resolution screen :cool:

7. :eek5:

Hm, I didn't know this. Do I have to get the data plan? I figured I'd be good with just the wifi capabilities. If I can get it without, will the features be gimped without the plan?
    Yeah, I saw it on Verizon's site for 99 and it seemed really reasonable. I don't need the newest/best toy so I figured I'd be okay with the Omnia 1, but I also thought I wouldn't have to pay for a data plan. :hs: