Samsung LCD or something else?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Labster, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Originally I was gonna order the Samsung 46" Touch of Color 120hz but the price jumped $200 in the last 2 days. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm trying to stay below $1400 with shipping if possible as I'm trying to afford a PS3 or Bluray player as well.

2. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Do you really want 120hz? After researching online, I thought I did and I was ready to throw down the money for one.

Then I looked at it in person and was on the fence. I had the people hook up the bluray to a normal 60hz tv then to the 120hz, and back and forth. For whatever reason, the 120hz made the image look unnatural and "too smooth." Go to a store thats actually helpful and be willing to spend a couple hours look at them. In the end, I decided that I didn't like how the 120hz looked so I picked up a 40" samsung 550. What is nice though is that you can switch the 120hz samsungs to 60hz's (at least back when I looked at them). The one I got isn't Touch of Color (which I would have liked) but I wasn't going to spend another $300-400 to have a little bit of red trim around the tv.

Good luck with what you get dude

3. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Reviews seemed to make it seem like it was worth the extra money. I'm going to do some gaming on it and I heard it made the game play nicer. Maybe I read some faulty reviews however.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

That isn't the 120hz you are seeing causing that effect, it's the frame interpolation or AMP on Samsung sets. You can turn it off. The panel is 120hz and thats it, there is no changing it between 60hz and 120hz.

To the threadstarter, get the 650 or better. It's worth it due to the glossy screen which gives alot better viewable contrast, as well as better black level performance.

Check into the Panasonic plasma as well. If you want the TOC, the screen will act similar to a pioneer or panasonic plasma in regard to light. What size were you looking for and what is your budget?

5. cacique78

cacique78 Member

If you want TOC then get the new samsung plasma b550 series. They come with a blue TOC. The red is available in the a650 plasma series but they will be a better buy than any lcd (and also a lot cheaper).

The only one that can hold a candle to the plasma is the LED based samsung and it is outrageously expensive.

Ignore all the bullshit you've heard about burn in, power consumption and all other plasma horror stories. Those haven't applied in years.

42" 1080p panasonic here with heavy video game playing and not a single problem with burn in or power consumption

6. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I'm looking for a 46" or larger. My budget is around $1400 because I'm also trying to budget in a bluray player or PS3 so I can fully enjoy the 1080p.

7. cacique78

cacique78 Member

Definitely get a plasma (46" panasonic). Without the 120 hz an lcd screen will drive you insane with the motion blur (Once you notice it you can't stop seeing it). You might be able to pick up a 46" samsung lcd for $1400 but the 120hz jacks the price up.

8. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Panasonic 46" G10 is priced @ $1500 from authorized dealers like plasmaconcepts.com. It's brand new, so if you give it a month or two you should be able to get the 50" for that price. That's what I'd go with.

9. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Well, whatever you do, make sure you go to a store and watch them in person and compare the difference. Make sure its something you like before you drop a lot of coin on it.

Good luck dude

10. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Amazon has a deal right now where I can get the Samsung 46" with 120hz and a bluray player which drops $200 from the total price and that includes free shipping. Total price is just over $1550 shipped which is well below BB. I went to BB today and looked at it side by side a non 120hz tv and while I could tell the difference it wasn't all that annoying to me but I know it could become annoying with my OCD.

11. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

12. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

13. cacique78

cacique78 Member

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I actually got that exact one for free due to a shipping mistake. I dunno, I think I like the picture better on the Toshiba I bought my mom for Christmas.