Samsung Eternity

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sobriquet, Nov 20, 2008.

1. sobriquet

sobriquet New Member

Has anyone heard anything about this phone? It's supposed to compete with the iPhone, but does anyone know anything about its interface or applications, and if the phone is even worth checking out?

2. RockTheMullet

RockTheMullet New Member

Just found this thread. I got one like two weeks ago, and it's a great phone. I haven't used the iPhone much, but I like this one better based on the little experience with the iPhone. The sensitivity of the Samsung's screen is perfect...not too sensitive so that you're clicking the wrong thing, it's just responsive enough.

3. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I got mine around Christmas and it's ok. I felt that if I was going to get a touch screen phone that I had to have an internet plan (which happens to be $15 vs the iPhone's $30 plan). The internet seems a bit faster on the Eternity than the 3G iPhone, but the iPhone is able to load up flash-heavy websites a lot easier. You could find quite a few java-based applications for the phone for free, but not all of them will utilize the touch screen for controls.

Although this doesn't agree with what RockTheMullet posted above me, I found the touch screen not sensitive at all... you really have to press down for signal to register. I own an iPod Touch and played with a lot of iPhones, and I really like that you could simply sweep your finger across the screen to quickly go through your contacts, and the Eternity does not do this well at all. I can't even count the number of times I've "clicked" on a wrong contact by trying to sweep through my list. I've finally just given up and just use the volume buttons to page up/down.

Even though the internet plan is $15 cheaper, if you plan on using apps like Pandora (internet radio), Shazam (song recognition app), etc, you should know that these all have their own monthly cost with the Eternity. With the addition of a free basic Slacker Radio app on the iPhone, I still think you would be paying less with the that.

4. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter