Samsung DLP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by samm, Jan 19, 2004.

1. samm

samm Next in Line

The local electronics stores are having great deals on TVs this time of year. Most of them have 24 month 0% financing, and a few other specials thrown in. I'm looking to purchase a nice big screen to replace my aging 32" sony flat tube from 1999. The thing is just too heavy and now that I have HD cable in my area, it makes sense to buy an HD capable TV. I've been looking at the Samsung DLP sets due to their small cabinet depth (around 18") and excellent picture quality. Does anyone own one of these sets? The research I've done on avsforum.com seems to be fairly positive. I'd love a plasma screen, but I can't justify the $8000+ purchase for a 50" screen. I sit too far away, around 12-13 feet, to get much benefit from a 42" plasma for the same $4000 the Samsung HLN567W costs.

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?prod_id=HLN567WX/XAA

2. Old School Pervert

Old School Pervert New Member

I own one. I work at Best Buy (home theater dept.) so I didn't walk into this blind-folded.

Here's my experience:

I was first looking at digital projection TVs. They've improved a lot along the years as far as resolution and viewing angles go. They're dirt cheap too! BUT, after doing some research, I found that they probably won't be around this time next year.

So I took a look (more like a glance) at plasmas, but, at the end, I found that they are WAYYYYYYYYY overrated! Mostly because they don't last too long. I mean, they have a great picture, but you also want reliability, especially if you're spending that kind've money. Also, you can't recharge a plasma. One the gases die out (or leak) the TV is dead. So, yeah, I didn't want to spend $8000 on a TV that won't even last me 6 years. I like to keep my TVs around for atleast 10 years. Also, plasma TVs aren't PS2 or XBox friendly. They have burn-in.

Then came LCD projection. This and the DLP look almost identical as far as picture quality except the LCD was missing a few key things. The picture looked sort of dull, in my opinion, when it came to brightness and color. Next the DLP, it looked almost boring to watch. Also, it had a few reliability issues like the plasma. It could last as long as 10 years, but it'll most probably give you a few problems until then. For instance, freezing pixels. The term speaks for itself. The manufacture will only cover this problem if there are ATLEAST 25 frozen pixels in one area! That's ridiculous. There's good news though: if you go with a service plan (you'd be an idiot if you bought an expensive TV with new technology and not buy a service plan) they'll cover even one frozen pixel; I know Best Buy's service plan does. The LCD would've my choice until I came across the DLP

The DLP is BY FAR the best TV on the market. Everything about is perfect. The techonology, the brightness, the contrast, the color, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. I also liked the fact that it's slim (only about 15" in depth). What really caught me eye was the brightness. The room that the TV would be put in is really bright, so I needed a TV that projects a really bright picture. If I would've went with the LCD or Projo, I wouldn't have been able to see sht! The DLP is almost as bright as a plasma. The viewing angle is also great. I think it's just 5 degrees lesser than a plasma.

If I had any bickerings about the DLP, it would be this:
    • Takes about 15 seconds to turn on. Not a big deal unless you're rushing home to catch the game.
    • The bulb is considered a consumable part so the service plan WON'T cover it. They predict that it should last you about 6 years before you see it dimming and/or needs replacing. The good news: you can replace it yourself so you don't have to pay labor. It's as simple as changing a car's light bulb.
    That's it. Other than that, it's perfect.

D. Diddy said that the DLP looks grainy on standard cable. ANY HDTV moniter will look grainy on standard analog cable. However, in my honest opinion, the DLP looks the best on analog cable. But, if you want to unleash the full potential of the TV, you have to switch over to HDTV DirecTV or HDTV cable. Standard DirecTV is also step up from analog cable because it's a digital picture. Beware of supposed "digital cable" though. This term usually refers to digital 5.1 surround sound, NOT digital picture!

I'm, sadly, still on analog cable. I'm waiting for HDTV cable to be available in my area. I'm not really dissapointed with the picture though. Here's a picture to give an idea of what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]

Not bad at all for analog cable. I mean, it still looks better than a standard tube TV. And if you have the right DVD player and right set of cables, you're movies will look unbelievable. I was watching Lord of the Rings the other day, and at some points I'm still surprised at how good the picture is! And I've been watching DVDs on this TV for almost a year now! My friend's are still like :bowdown: when they come over.

Go with the DLP. I have no doubt in my mind that you'll love this TV. You won't regret it one bit. If you want to get one, I'd get one now from Best Buy. They're having killer promotions for the Super Bowl! You can choose between getting 2 years interest free financing OR 10% off your purchase. Also, with the purchase of a digital TV, you can get an HDTV DirecTV receiver for $200. They're usually $600!! You can't beat that!

I hope I answered any questions you had. If you have any more questions, leave me a PM or e-mail me. Good luck!

3. samm

samm Next in Line

Excellent post Monkey Boy. I agree with you totally, I've spent the last 6 weeks researching big screen TVs and I keep coming back to the DLP TVs due to their excellent brightness and great picture quality. I already have a Motorola DCT5100 HD digital cable receiver from Mediacom (only 5 channels in HD though) so receiving HD content isn't an issue for me. I plan on getting a DVI capable DVD player when the Bravo D2 is available. I would get the Samsung HD931, but it has been getting lackluster reviews on avsforum.com

Best Buy does not carry the TV I want (Samsung HLN567W) so I am forced to buy elsewhere. Ultimate Electronics or American TV both carry it and offer similar deals to what Best Buy does.

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

I have a Panasonic 50" LCD projection in a very large and bright room. i have no problems seeing it midday with all the blinds open and lights on. LCD projection is NOT anything like CRT projection, with LCD displays having a 500:1 comtrast ratio or better compared to CRT projection's 300:1 at best.

the Samsung DLP screens look nice, but good luck with your service plan if you're NOT a best buy employee. most of those plans are NOT covered by best buy, but by a third party provider. consumer reports has more than enough to say about third party service providers. i will admit the DLP screens are much brighter, with crispness being a hard judgment call based on signal clarity... what looked to be duller on my Panasonic ended up looking much more crisp when i set it up at home due to a clean input signal.

DLP technology has been around for a short while, used most notably in your local digital movie theatre. it does have a real problem with stuck "flippers" in the image projection system that has yet to be truly resolved... many in the industry concede that it will be fixed with time. LCD projection on the other hand has been used in the industry for over 10 years now, starting with true projectors that could be built smaller to compete with CRT projection systems for presentations. sometimes buying the bleeding edge technology will cut you.

i also saved myself about $1500 by going with the Panasonic over the equivalent sized Samsung.

5. Old School Pervert

Yes, the service plan is not covered by Best Buy. It's covered by AIG insurance (the largest insurance company in the world). So.. that's a good thing. I've never heard any complaints from customers about the Best Buy service plan, and I'd say about 90% of the time, they buy it again the next time around because more than likely they had their TV replaced or serviced atleast once (I'm talking about the high-end TVs: LCD, plasmas, DLP, etc.)

Consumer Reports are right about most third party service providers. Most of them are very small companies that will do anything to get out of servicing or replacing your TV. With AIG, a multi-billion dollar company, I don't think they have a problem replacing a $3000 TV, especially seeing that you forked over $250 or more for the policy.

6. Old School Pervert

If you're not in a rush to buy it, wait a few weeks until we get them in. I suspect we're getting them in sometime late this month or early February. Then just drop me an e-mail and I'll give you Best Buy's cost. I know.. it's a :nono: but I'd feel bad if you bought that TV for retail price. My employee cost was little over a $1000 off retail price, so that just goes to show how much mark-up is on these bad boys. You can probably save yourself about $500 if you get the service plan and buy the right attachments. Best Buy loves doing package deals. Anyway, let me know.

7. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

I just bought the Toshiba 57H83 and I love it!

Paid $2k for mine, which is half of the DLP, and a bigger size. The DLP looks great, but I couldn't justify the extra 2 grand for a smaller TV.

I'm very happy with my purchase (from best buy) and just look forward to getting all my local stations in HD ASAP. (=

8. videoholic

videoholic New Member

I love my DLP, but aren't they coming out with a new one with a larger color wheel this summer? I don't know if I would buy mine if I had the chance today.

Although don't get me wrong. It looks freaking sweet.