samsung cell phones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Offender, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Offender

Offender OT Supporter

are for what service? i have verizon,, and i want a new phone, and on TechTV yesterday they showed all the new cell phones coming out, and samsung has a pretty cool one... forget the model # though.
    and even if its for another company, is there a way to make it work with verizon?

2. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

THats what I want to know, too. GSM, TDMA, CDMA, GPRS, etc. Too many damn things to choose form. I heard GSM is slowly spreading and that GPRS is good for internet access. In Vegas, my only GSM options are AT&T, VoiceStream, and Cingular. I had Verizon but hated them after I transferred from the east coast. I think Verizon uses CDMA out here. Where r u located and do u plan on travellin?

3. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

So far the only company that I know that uses GSM in the US is Voicestream and maybe Cingular. It doesn't matter what part of the country you are in AT&T uses TDMA and Verizon uses CDMA. Phone manufacturers like Nokia make phones specifically for different carriers. For example the 8260 is made for TDMA where as the 8290 is made specifically for GSM. You should find out if Samsung does the same. I know Samsung makes phones for Sprint which is CDMA and for Voicestream which is GSM.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2002
  4. Nisstec

Nisstec Guest

Sony Ericsson or Nokia... best

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I think the majority of Samsung cell phones are for Sprint PCS. That's what I use.

6. Melisande

Melisande Guest

Samsung makes CDMA and GSM phones. Not all phones work with all carriers. Also, it is very difficult to get a non-Verizon phone to work on Verizon, even if it is of a compatible technology. I suggest choosing a phone from your preferred carrier's web site.

7. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

I want to get a Sony/Ericsson T66 phone which is sold in Europe. It uses GSM. I heard all you have to do is get a SIM card and put it in and then it will work. It supposedly a "world phone." I dunno what any of that means, but ya think it will work here in America, esp. on the west coast?

8. Melisande

Melisande Guest

Europe runs on a 900/1800 GSM frequency, and North America uses a 1900 GSM frequency. A "world" phone is a phone that supports either all three bands, or at least 900/1900. The T66 supports 900/1800/1900.

If your phone is fully unlocked (i.e. not carrier restricted), it should be able to work with any GSM carrier here. If you're on the west coast, you should be able to use it with either Voicestream (T-Mobile) or Cingular.

9. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

Ok, so if I pick up the T66, what do I need to do to get service? I currently have NO wireless provider and will probably go with VoiceStream/T-Mobile. Since I didn't buy the phone thru them will they still let me have service? Can I just go in to the store, bringing the phone, ask to buy the SIM card with service?

BTW, thanks for the info, you've been a great help. :bigthumb:

10. Melisande

Melisande Guest

No problem! Yeah, you should be able to buy a SIM and setup an account without buying a phone. Last I checked they charge you $20 for the SIM if you don't buy a phone through them. Some reps are more picky about selling SIM cards alone than others... keep trying different customer reps/stores until someone sells it to you. The reps don't like selling SIMs alone because they don't get the commission off of selling a new phone. :)

11. Melisande

Melisande Guest

Oh yeah, if you really want to know more about cell phones, check out howardforums.com. I'm a moderator over there. :)

12. cypha12

cypha12 Guest

Thanks again, you've been a a great help. I've been over to HowardForums.com and actually gonna buy the T66 thru LVWireless that posts over there. I'm guessin he is in Vegas and I'm hoping I can just pick one up from him and get it activated that day. :)

13. Melisande

Melisande Guest

Glad to be of help. LVWireless is a great seller... enjoy your new phone :)

14. Metal

Metal Active Member

15. Turboed_2

Turboed_2 .

16. Metal

Metal Active Member

17. twofaze

twofaze H.N.I.C.

18. HunterKiller

HunterKiller Guest

Whens that supposed to come out?

19. djpill

djpill Guest

Speaking of Sprint phones. When is this supposed 3G network coming out? I really want the increased wireless data speed... but I want to pay by minute... instead of per megabyte like Voicestream. :cool:

20. mrdeucie

mrdeucie Member

I think I read in a Yahoo mag that most service carriers will be charging by the amount of data you use and not by the minute..