Samsung cell phone help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dumb_end_user, Sep 16, 2005.

1. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

I've got a Samsung SCH-A670 camera phone (Verizon service if that matters).

I carry it in my pocket and somehow I am always activating the camera (there is a button on the outside of the phone for the camera) and taking pictures of the inside of my pocket. I never use the camera function intentionally. Is there a way to disable the camera and still keep the phone usable?

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

read the instructions that came with the phone. if it's a soft key, you should be able to reprogram it to launch a different program or nothing at all. this IS a bit more prevalent on Motorolas, and i have never had a Samsung that allowed one to reassign any of the external buttons.

but i own neither the fone or the user manual.

3. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

:uh: I never even considered checking the manual :o

The button is clearly labeled with a [picture of a] camera so I do not think it is a programmable button but I'll check it out.

4. oakie

oakie my ninja.

:rofl:
    it happens a lot. many people just get defensive about it instead.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster New Member

I currently have that phone and have not had that problem carrying it in my purse. The only time I activate it is if I push the camera button before I put in my pocket by accident and then close the phone (so the camera is still on) and drop it in my bag. Make sure that you're not hitting it before you close the phone, the button is right on the side so you might be doing that inadvertantly...

6. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

The manual doesn't have anything in it about disabling the camera.. Are there any Verizon experts out there that may be able to shed some light on some hidden menu function that disables the camera feature?

I'm well aware that the button is on the side of the phone - that's the problem. I "press" it while it is in my pant's pocket about 25% of the time I kneal down or bend over at the waist. I never activate the camera on puirpose - I have not and never will take a picture (on purpose) with the phone.

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

you have three options...

get a new phone
    get a leather case that may "shroud" the cam button
    keypad lock

i think samsungs use the star key to lock the keypad. just hold it down until you see "keypad locked"

8. dumb_end_user

dumb_end_user Sad Gus

Already considered option 1.
    Was given option 2 by a "helpful" Verizon employee and nixed it.
    Option 3 might work but keylock ain't the * key. Guess it's time to open the manual again :mad: That or get out some epoxy and glue the button in a permanently locked position.

Edit: thanks btw at least you are helping me think through it.