LGBT Same Sex Marriage v. Taxes

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by RadioPagan, Apr 7, 2005.

1. RadioPagan

RadioPagan K-9 Search and Rescue Handler, Ret. Rescue Paramed

Ok this is on a serious note, which is why I am posting it here.
    The federal government takes the stand that they DO NOT neither support nor recognize Same Sex Marriages. If a Same Sex Couple, who were married in a State/City that validated/certified their marriage as valid, files a tax return as “Married: Filing Jointly”, and the IRS accepts the return and Cashes/Issues a Check, does this not mean that the federal government Supports AND Recognize Same Sex Marriage?

If I Have Any of my facts wrong or misinterpreted something please let me know, it was just a thought that came to mind. For the record I SUPPORT Same Sex Marriage to the fullest.

2. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

They are supposed to accept it due to full faith and credit, but since the federal courts have yet to step in and support that, I don't think it would hold up without a huge fight.

3. RadioPagan

Not trying to start an argument: So you are saying they will accept the $$ but not respect their other rights? Seems like a contradiction where it’s ok if you are giving us money, but not OK if you want our support. :dunno:

4. Praetor

Praetor Guest

What the state courts recognize is far different than what the federal courts recognize. You can have a same sex marriage in Massachusetts, where it's legal, but if you move to Alabama or Texas for that matter, where there was no vote on same sex marriage yet or the ban already passed, then that marriage is automatically nullified.

If the United States had a unitary government system, then the entire nation would recognize same sex marriages if only one was allowed to happen in the first place. Since state rights matter more, this is not the case.

I might be wrong in my assessment.:hs:

5. RadioPagan

While you do bring up a valid point about the courts, the point I was trying to bring out is that the federal goverment will take the money of a Same sex couples submitting taxes jointly, and by accepting the forms and issuing a check/cashing their check, are they recognizing that union to be valad by doing so?

6. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

(I'm pretty sure that) they have to recognise it as a valid marriage because a state passed the law and because the federal goverment has yet to take a stance.