Same question, different intention...please help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jacknasty, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1195940

I looked at the above thread and it wasn't much of anything but a flamefest and talk of dual processors

My question is the same, What makes a Mac the same/better than a PC, with faster processor speed. And, why are Macs more expensive, compared to a Windows based PC?

I am looking to get a PowerBook or iBook, in the near future. I want to make sure I am making a good decision

PLEASE NOTE - I am not trying to start a war. Nor do I have any allegiance to Microsoft. I am quite interested in buying a Mac soon, but have never used one, so I want to make sure I don't get pissed about spending more money for the Mac

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

what do you plan to use it for?

3. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

The PPC architechture executes more instructions per clock cycle; therefore "slower" chips actually have the same or better performance of higher clocked chips.

They are more initially more expensive because they are better built than your average PC (including white-box homebrew PCs). They also last a lot longer than any other desktop computer. For example, my 2001 PowerMac is much faster today than it was the day I bought it and I have done absolutely nothing to it.

On top of all that, you get to use OS X, which is by far the best desktop operating system around. It's stable, fast, has great applications available, and designed to me more useful and extensible.

4. maczter

...and by this, he means that with each revision to OS X, it actually gets faster, instead of slower, which tends to be the case with Windows OS's.

Edit: Man, that was a lot of commas in one short sentence! :)

5. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

Nothing exciting really. I want a laptop that I can use for random stuff. Play movies, word processing able to roll into MS systems, surfing the net, etc

I heard something about the Macs being able to use a processor more efficently than a PC. I guess it means that a 800 mghz Mac can run the same speed as a 1.2ghz PC? I could be completely off base, but it is the only explanation that has been given to me

And, the pricing can only be explained by the lack of comptetition in the Apple world. However, I would think that PCs are a form of competetition. It's really hard to choose the 800mhz - 1ghz Mac over a 2.4ghz-2.6ghz PC

Again, I am looking for explanations, not trying to start an argument. I wouold greatly appreciate answers and help on these issues. Thanks

6. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

That makes sense. Thank you for the response :bowdown:

On that note, would I be okay getting an iBook, or should I spend more money on a Powerbook? I have a notebook computer from work, so I would mainly be using this for personal use/trips

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  7. maczter

what size are you leaning toward?

some folks like the ultra portability of the 12". some prefer the desktop replacement of the 17". some compromise with the 15".

8. acabrera

acabrera Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

cool.

I have a G3 iBook and while it's still useable it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I think you would be ok in getting a G4 iBook, but if you can afford it grab the Powerbook.

9. Jacknasty

Jacknasty New Member

I'll probably go with the 15"

I was wondering about that. For personal use, I think an iBook would be enough for me. It's mainly for surfing the web, email and minor random things. I will probably keep my desktop for gaming, and whatever else, in the spare bedroom. But, I would love to walk into my house and only see a good looking Mac on my computer desk. I think am seriously going to go through with it this time.

Thanks for all your help - all of you :wavey:

10. maczter

no problem! :)

11. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I'm kind of in the same shoes as Jacknasty. I've been "interested" in macs for a long time, or more specifically, OS X. I was out of work for much of that time, though, so dropping a 4-digit sum of money on something like that was out of the question. I'm working again now (though with still meager funds). I'm strongly considering getting some sort of mac now, almost certainly of the "book" variety. I don't exactly need a new computer or anything, but I've been wanting to get my hands on OS X for a long time, and I should probably do so while I can still afford to. But it IS more expensive than me building/upgrading my own pc ..and significantly so at that. Apple's hardware is grossly overpriced (especially when it comes to things like ram), and that's probably the main thing I don't like about them. That, and that they shot themselves in the foot with their anti-cloning hardware obsession, sinking into a snobby niche market (no offense, but that's the image it has now) while M$ took over the rest of the world.

It's just such a big investment for something so ..iffy. I don't wanna spend so much money on this and end up regretting it. I don't doubt for a moment that ppc is "better" than x86. But I do doubt that the difference is so great as to warrant the price difference. If I get a 1Ghz iBook, how does that really compare to a 1.5Ghz or so book that I could get for the same price (with a larger hdd too)?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

another comment about apple's hardware prices -- inevitably, apple charges a premium on their hardware because at its core, apple is still a hardware company -- that is to say, the sales of machines, moreso than software upgrades, iPods, iTMS songs, etc. keep the company profitable. At the market share they occupy it is something of a necessary evil.

That said, Apple hardware tends to be (IMO) of a generally higher quality standard, from design to implementation. As an example, the G5 towers were specifically designed to be the quietest yet most powerful possible desktop available -- apple did this by creating four distinct convective cooling regions in the machine, including 11 fans in the machine -- 9 of these fans were designed by apple themself. :eek3:

it's that kind of attention to detail that makes apple a better (albeit more expensive) machine... the nice flipside to this is higher resale value on the machines.