Samba or network issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

This is odd. Maybe someone here has some ideas...

I have 3 computers. Two of which are Win98. The other is an old Red Hat v6 box. Samba on the RH box has been running steadily for the past several years without problems. Tonight, from either Win98 box, I can't access the shared drives. I get "\\Endeavour is not accessible. The network is busy."

The network is pretty quiet actually. Both Win98 boxes can see and access each others shared drives. No changes have been made to smb.conf.

Since nothing has changed configuration-wise on either the Win98 or Linux boxes, I thought it might be network related. I've got two 10/100mbs hubs of which one is a DLink and I know its flakey - especially when it gets overcooked. I swapped out my two hubs for a 10mbs 8 port one which has been pretty reliable. Still no luck.

I'm able to ping, ftp, http to my Linux box. Even from my linux box I can do "smbclient '\\atlantis\cdrive'" or even "smbclient '\\endeavour\web'" (which is the linux box and one of its shares) which tells me the network is good going outbound from the Linux box and Samba is configured correctly.

I did a quick search on Google and I didn't find anything that matched this particular problem. Anyone have any thoughts?

Edit: I'll also mention my hosts file (on the Linux box) does have 127.0.0.1 on the first line.

Edit: I'm noticing in the smb logs this: read_data: read failure. Error = Connection reset by peer

To me this would imply the drive is acting silly, but I don't know. I'm not finding anything on google.com so far...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2003
  2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

what about your network cards.... i've had a couple go bad on me before and in which they would only fail on certain services...

can you mount your win98's share to your linux box, and trasnfer files?

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Both Win98 boxes can't access the Linux shares. But from the Linux box, I can access either Win98 box (so I could transfer files via smbclient).

I'm kind of leaning towards the the NIC in the linux box as being fussy. What timing. The cable Internet died last night, along with Samba, and I had been too lazy to update my DNS since my last move and my old ISP finally killed my access to their DNS boxes. Fun night last night!

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

SLED: You were right on!

When I built this Linux box, I put in two identical 10/100 D-Links in there (it started life as a NAT box). It was just a matter of flipping the cable and activating the 2nd card and giving it a static IP address. Rebooted and life is really good. In fact, I think the faulty D-Link in question has been a problem for the past year or so because my data transfer rate (when copying files) seems a ton better now on the 2nd card.

Whew! Life is good again...

5. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Just a note for future readers.....you see what happends when you use DLink?

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Meh, I've had a DLink running in my firewall for a few years, and haven't had any problems with it.

That being said, I put a DLink in a machine I built at work, and had a hell of a time trying to get it to work. Apparently it didn't exist (no listing of it on the DLink website, couldn't find drivers for it). I gave up and swapped in a different card :big grin:

7. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmmm, that's really weird, although i've had duplicate cards in a linux system before, and had trouble with sharing the driver modules. I ended up re-compiling an extra module from source and it worked fine. These days i don't even mess with it, and just always put two different cards in which don't share drivers :dunno:

8. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

Hrmmm, my onboard NIC and my dual-port Intel EEPro 100 both use the same modules and I've had no problems.

<Obligatory D-Link blows remark>

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Yeah, I can't say I'd recommend DLink for production environments (unless you think you need additional job security :) ). For home use they're ok if you know what to expect. I think I've gotten a good solid 5-6 years out of several DLink cards with this being the first problem. These DLinks are kinda cool being that they're 10/100 on a 16bit ISA bus, but can be plugged into an 8bit ISA bus if needed (which I did in an old 8088).

As for the dual NICs, they're using the same driver (the NICs are both on different IRQs and addresses). I don't really have any problems configuring it (in fact, I think thats one of the reasons I used the DLinks was there were Linux drivers). I do remember reading and following a How-To on configuring dual NICs. I will admit if I had to setup another dual NIC Linux box today, I'd have to get some docs - I've forgotten what was all involved.