Samba doesn't like my router :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Biomechanoid, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

I tried networking myh linux server to my XP PC, and as long as they both are on my hub I have no problems, but if I try to use my router (both on the router, or the hub networked to the router), Samba can't see my PC and visa-versa. any suggestions?

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

I think you need to explain a little more. What are you doing with the router (make and model)? Is it a flat or multi-net network?

3. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

here's the setup I want to run:

Cable modem to router, and the PC and Linux box on the router.

my router is a Linksys-Network Everywhere NR041
    my hub is a Linksys-Network Everywhere NH1005

Here's the setups I've tried:

if I plug both my PC and Box into the router (with or without the uplink from the modem) niether computer sees/connects to each other.

If I plug both my PC and Box into the hub, I have no problems as both computers recognize/connect to each other and everything is fine.

If I uplink my modem to the router, and the router to the hub, and put both the PC and Box on the hub, neither computer can see/connect to each other ( :wtf: )

If I have the same setup as above but have the PC on the hub and the Box on the router, same problem

Same setup but Box on the hub and the PC on the router and same problem.

I'm thinking of just switching back to XP for the box and deal with needing to restart it every 7-10 days

4. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

What's your firewall looking like. I wonder if your router is dropping the packets that are going to the Linux box thinking it was bad traffic.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

wonder if your router is not allowing broadcast packets. How are you accessing your samba share? \\linuxbox\myshare\ ? Try using the ip address. \\192.168.0.5\myshare\ (replacing that ip address to what your linux box is set to). If that works, then it may just be that your router is dropping packets that are crutial for the SMB protocol to allow your linux box to broadcast itself.

6. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

thanks that worked :bigthumb:. I might switch back to XP due to other reasons though