MMA Sam Vasquez died...first regulation MMA death...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by joechunkybutt2, Dec 3, 2007.

1. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

2. joechunkybutt2

joechunkybutt2 New Member

I wonder if this is going to put new scrutiny on mma...Dana will need to handle this situation very carefully since the media treats him as the corporate face of MMA. I'm sure he'll get interviewed regarding the topic.

3. Titus

Titus New Member

sucks :(. death sucks. i just got back from my best friends little brothers memorial service. boo to being sad.

4. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

That sucks. Poor guy.

I wonder what caused the first clot. Hopefully they make the medical exams more extensive.

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

RIP.

Hopefully this doesn't cause the media/politicians to take a sh*t on the sport.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

contact sports will result in death from time to time, it's not good obviously but hopefully people can be realistic about this and not act like MMA is some sort of death sport.

7. Protoman

Protoman New Member

Dang.. the guy he fought (Vince) used to train at the same gym I did in San Antonio. Man.. that really sucks.. hope the family can pull through it.

R.I.P.

8. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

R.I.P. my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo OT Supporter

Damn, RIP.
    So are they saying that his health wasnt tested enough before the fight? The first MMA death was supposed to be due to poor health, some brain/bloodflow problem. Extensive medical prescreening and good referees will keep deaths out of MMA, its sad this had to happen to vasquez.

10. Drummer161616

Drummer161616 New Member

It's already on Fox News

11. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

There are risks in this sport as there are in all sports, we accept those risks when we participate. There are alot of safeguards in place to minimize these risks but nothing can be done to eliminate them.

I have been involved with a death on a rugby field (I was on the opposition) to a guy who collapsed and died on the field he had a preexisting heart problem. It really messes with your head but in the end without his health issues (he shouldnt have been playing and lied on his physical) he would not have died.

12. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i know that training and fighting are 2 different things, but the minor injuries i've gotten training mma are nothing in comparison to my highschool football and high school wrestling and college wrestling. the list of injuries from the sport i was terrible at (football) are HUGE compared to my injuries in higher level wrestling and now in my short time of trianing mma.

hopefully the media will keep things in prespective. it's terrible that anyone dies particapating in a sport, but it will happen when contact is involved, at some time someone will die or be seriously hurt, there are deaths and serious head injuries in baseball (almost a no contact sport), especially college with pitchers being struck by line drives coming off of aluminum bats, but i'm sure a mma related death will gain more and more attention and soon espn will have a behind the lines shit show dedicated to how awful mma is.