Salvaged bikes

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by mitsuguy16, Jan 9, 2004.

1. mitsuguy16

mitsuguy16 New Member

I found this nice looking 2002 R6 for $4900 the only bad thing is, is that it is a salvaged title. I am was wondering what i should look out for when i buy a salvaged bike. It is buy a company called Forward Motion Motorcycles, has anyone in southern california dealed with them before? thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

If it's your first bike, forget it.

3. Triad

Triad I deficate locomotives.

Its a pretty bike but ^ What he said.

From reading his other posts on this board he knows his shit about bikes.

4. mitsuguy16

mitsuguy16 New Member

well, i've been riding for 6 months and done a little track time on a 400. Now the 250 seems too weak. So i think i will be able to take care of a 600

5. GizmoR

GizmoR New Member

I would never buy a salvaged bike that has being repaired. You dont know what were the damage, maybe the frame is twisted and their is NO way to know about it exept to ride it for some time (ok ok GDM computrack.... shut up).
    But buying a damaged bike is repair it is ok

6. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

that's WAY too much money for that bike with a salvage title. If you know someone that knows bikes you can have them check out salvage title bikes for you.

I have been doing this bike thing for awhile and built bikes for myself as well as others out of wrecked/theft recovery bikes. In fact, every bike I have ever owned has been built like this. Bikes get totalled almost for ANY claim. The damage doesn't have to be bad at all. The cheapest thing to do is to buy a wrecked bike with a clean title and fi it yourself. I could probably duplicate that bike for $2500 and do it with a clean title ;) It just takes a little time.

7. Hobie1

Hobie1 No longer self-employed & now hating life

If the frame is steel it will rust at the points where the frame got tweaked. However, most modern bikes have aluminum frames. The tabs for the subrames often break, make sure they are welded on well. The head stock can snap off, you can tell if it has been rewelded. I don't care how strong someone says it is I would NEVER buy a bike that the head stock has been snapped on. Often aluminum frames get scratched (such as the sides of gixxers) and people try to sand and refinish them, it never looks quite right. If the bike has a salvage title and the frame has been powdercoated you might want to stay away. You never know what lies under that paint. I was at the street races once when a huge chunk of bondo came out of this guys frame where it had been *fixed* and powdercoated to make it undetectable to a buyer :rofl:

Hold the bike up straight and look from the back. The tail section won't fit properly if the subframe is tweaked. If the frame is tweaked there might be some body work bolts that seem IMPOSSIBLE to put on. None of this is really a big deal if you get the bike c-h-e-a-p and can work on things, but it would be something for a newbie to stay away from. Also, all frames are slightly tweaked. I have had friends take brand new never ridden bikes off the showroom floor to computrack to make race bikes out of and not one has been 100% square from the factory :big grin:

8. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

After a couple months of riding, you think you're experienced, and that's usually where you start getting cocky and you make mistakes. I've been there, and I've got the scars to prove it.

[​IMG]

This was after a year and 13k miles. Target fixated while taking a corner in the twisties, highsided, and ended up with a fractured wrist. Don't get an R6/GSXR till you've got a couple years of street riding under your belt, their geometry is designed for super-fast turn in, which mean you've gotta be super-smooth with your inputs and be able to react instictively to the bike's movements.

You don't have to get a 250, but there are better bikes than an R6 (I'm partial to the SV650 obviously :bigthumb: ).

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  9. PaulLS1C5

PaulLS1C5 Guest

I bought my bike from forward motion, it had a clean title, though.

good guys...but thats way too much.