Salt water + car keys = gneh? & whatdoido?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by paintbalesf, Mar 14, 2006.

1. paintbalesf

paintbalesf New Member

So I was at the beach today. Ran into the water, and played volleyball/cath with some friends for about 20-30 mins (can't remember exactly). As I started to head back to the back, I felt a lump in my pants. Great, that's my phone! Oh, and what's that, my keys too! God, I'm such an idiot.

Anyway, the phones toast, according to online sources (it's dead after about 2 mins, and even sooner if it was on, which it was). But the keys are still good, apparently. I was able to open my ccar with them.

I got home a couple hours later, washed out the circuitry fully, dried it out with a hair dryer on low heat, and made sure there was no water left under the microchip (which there was...I had to blow it out repeatedly and dry it off). It seems mostly dry, so I'm going to wait a few hours just for good measure. However, I noticed that on one corner of the key's board, there is a little bit of white crusty stuff (corrosion?) on one of the circuits (or w/e those little things are). I tried removing some of it, but there's still some.

Should I wait to put the battery back in and get that stuff looked at? Or should I test it out? (or should I *gulp* fork over the 50 bucks to get a new one)?

thanks

2. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

DO NOT PUT THE BATTERY BACK! Wait, at least overnight. Don't mess with it, just leave it and let it dry.

The phone may not be a loss. I dropped my old phone into the pacific one day, took 10 minutes to get it out. Removed the battery, took it home washed it with clean water let it sit for 2 days. And it still works 2 years later.

The key is to let them completly dry out before putting the battery back in.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

the white is salt

rinse off with bottled water, dry with hairdryer, hope it still works

4. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

If it is salt I wouldnt worry to much. It isn't a good thing, but it shouldn't cause you any problems. I worked for IT for a meat company and had to work on a computer that was in the "Spice Room". It stopped working, so I open it up and it was encrusted with about a 1/2 inch of salt. There was a shell of salt over everything. Cleaned it off, and the computer ran. It was just causing it to build up heat quick.

Point of that story is a little bit of salt on your circuit shouldnt really be to harmful.

Also I had a cell phone in my shoe at a gym, and some assholes decided to flood the locker room. Walked in and my phone was underwater, dont know for how long, had to be a while though. Opened it up best I could, took off the battery. Let it sit for a week. When I turned it on it worked fine.

5. crashspeeder

crashspeeder Interesting Title

phone shouldn't be a loss. my little cousin (6 months at the time) decided to suck on my stepdad's phone and it stopped working for a week. a week later after it had dried and everybody took it for dead it started working again. history repeated itself with my aunt's phone later that year. while it's not saltwater it's still a similar story.

both should be fine if you just let them sit.