Salary ranges per technology for admins?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Jul 2, 2009.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

I don't even know how to make a better subject to convey this, but I've been wondering for quite a while what pay scale works out to for each different administration type field (I have very little idea what development type jobs pay). And I don't mean specific $$$, but just where different jobs are in relation to each other.

This is what I've generally come up with:
    helpdesk/phone support
    desktop support
    windows server/linux server
    unix (hpux, solaris, aix) admin
    storage admin
    dba

obviously this isn't an individual thing because i've certainly run into great windows admins who make a lot of money and there are huge ranges depending on if you're talking entry to mid to senior levels, but this is something that seems to work on average. as someone described it to me once, you get paid more as you get closer to controlling the critical data. there are tons of desktops, not any of which is usually critical. there are a lot of windows servers, most of which aren't all that critical either (file servers, email - important, but not critical, application servers). there are a bunch of UNIX servers, a good portion of which aren't critical (web servers, app servers), but a bunch which will be mission critical (database servers). there are generally very few storage arrays which hold all of the critical databases (and are depended upon for most critical apps). then there are the databases themselves.

while a linux admin isn't in theory that far from a unix admin, i never found the places looking for linux admins will to or able to pay as much as the places that focus more on unix. also, i still find linux more used for web and app servers.

so, what do you think? am i off?

2. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

so you're looking for a new career?

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I would say you're on point for the most part, though I have to disagree to an extent when it comes to the importance of Windows servers -- depending on the operation. Considering how much integration can be had between database operations (MSSQL) Active Directory, and other functions, they can be just as mission critical as the linux/unix boxes and dedicated storage boxes (be they Solaris, or EMC/Netapp/etc.).

Not to mention that the value of retaining people with higher MS specific credentials (MCSE, MCDBA, MCITS....) can motivate higher pay.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

the issue i've found with windows people is that there are SOOO many windows admins out there. so, a good windows admin can certainly do well on the pay scale, but the same can be said about a good unix admin or dba.

as far as the criticality of windows servers, i'm not saying that there aren't mission critical windows servers. i just think that the percentage of non-critical to critical servers is higher with windows than unix because there are a lot more uses. like i said, email, file and app servers aren't mission critical, but almost every company i know of is running exchange and using windows for file servers and citrix for shared apps for the most part. that generally takes a lot of machines comparatively.

i may be talking out of my ass though, but most of the large enterprise places i've worked, the bigger, most critical databases tended to be UNIX. that wasn't to say that there weren't equally critical databases in Windows, just less of them.

5. LinuxRacr

LinuxRacr New Member

I myself am a UNIX admin for a large corperation. The company I work for has thousands of Unix machines (Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, AIX) for back-end processing, and Databases. We also have quite a few window servers for front-end stuff, such as thin-client, and e-mail. That being said, the mostly mission-critical stuff goes on UNIX, due to the fact that that Windows is Windows...