GUN Saiga .308 Questions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Oct 25, 2006.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

Anyone here have one? Aside from being ugly & having a limited selection of mags & accessories I really haven't read anything negative about them. I guess my biggest concern is if they built the AK style action up enough to handle the beating from the .308, although I guess if the Saiga 12ga's are holding together then the .308 should too.

While we're on the topic... I always read about people sending Saiga's to Tromix to be "converted". Converted to what? And what the hell is Tromix doing to a $350 gun that makes it a $1350 gun?

2. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Ok. I was looking under the Saiga Rifles section... which doesn't explain jack shit.

4. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Convert means to make it 922 legal - so that you can add a folding stock or a pistol grip or make it have a > 5 shot capacity. It means adding US parts until there are no more than 10 import parts according to the 922 list.

5. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

All reviews I've read from people who've bought 308 Saiga's have been pretty positive, same with anyone who's sent anything off to Tromix. That said I'm not so sure I'de buy a SAIGA in .308, for the cost of the rifle and tromix conversion you could pick up a VEPR/Super Veper which by most accounts is better and more accurate.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I still think about getting one just to have a matching set (.308 and 12g) :hs:

I wonder if Tony would give me a discount for sending 2 at once...

7. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

Does tromix sell saiga's or just the conversions?

8. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They do both.

Tromix 6" Micro .308
    $1,325 as shown. Less $350 on customer supplied rifle.
    [​IMG]

9. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

Thanks, i want a 12ga though

10. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

http://tromix.com/saiga.htm

Tromix Saiga shotgun conversions transform your standard hunting gun, into a more dynamic tactical tool. The conversion consists of removing the original buttstock, installing a pistol grip, new trigger guard, and U.S. made fire control components.
    The rear trigger axis pins are TiG welded closed and ground smooth to give you a factory look. The rear of the receiver is then remachined to the correct angle, and a back plate is TiG welded in place to allow attachment of the Tromix folding stock.

Finally, the barrel is cut to 18.25”, the gas ports opened to allow proper functioning, all refinished in flat black Norrell Moly Resin. The basic 18” conversion as described above runs $350 on the customer’s gun, or use a Tromix supplied gun for an additional $400.

$400 not the best deal. But the extra cost maybe worth it save the trouble of shipping it to them.

11. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I wish the CA DOJ would go ahead and clarify if Saiga's are legal here or not since I would definitely buy one. However that being said if anyone here has done a conversion and has the original FCG they want to sell I'd appreciate a PM.

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

From what I understand, 400 isn't that bad of a deal for an S12. I think the least I've seen them for is 389.00, so I wouldn't begrudge Tony the 11 bucks. I should ring up FBMG and see what they've got 'em for, if it's much less than that I'd be surprised.