GUN Saiga 12 / General Shotgun help

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Admitted, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I am getting my Saiga converted and all that shit. Anyway, I was going with an internal rem choke modification and externally threaded muzzle break. The guy doing the mods said that it could be done, but recently informed me that he fucked up and it can't be done because the end of the S12 barrel is too thin to do a rem choke mod. He would have to cut it down to 16.25 and do the rem chokes and permanently attach the break.

Couple questions:
    1) Will a choked 16.25 barrel be worthless in 3 gun or skeet? (I just want this for shits and giggles)
    2) Do they make an extended choke wrench that will reach down 3 inches beyong a break?
    3) My other option is to go with just a poly-choke and no break. Are they shitty?
    4) Does anyone make an external choke set for the saiga?
    5) Who is your daddy and what does he do?

2. Admitted

never heard of them but i'll ask. I'm guessing it would be the same problem

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

I am thinking of doing this with mine when I get it this week (well, not RIGHT away obviously :o)

You planning it as a SBS? I need the info as well. Just don't feel like paying $500 for all the conversion bullshit

4. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

1) I dont know about 3gun, but a 16.25" barrel will be WORTHLESS for trap. You may hit a couple in skeet out of sheer luck though.

2) I've never seen one that long because with 99.9% of shotguns, the chokes are right at the end of the barrel

3) Poly-chokes are FTL, especially at $90.

4) Don't know.

5) Kent, dentist.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure that a choke that's behind 3" of brake will do no good as the wad will have re-expanded to cylinder by the time it leaves the choke.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Some things to consider. If you run a mag feed shotgun you are automaticly in open class. That means you need a open pistol and rifle too. That means first your running with the big boys, second you are going to need $$$ equipment. If your down for this, rock on.

For shotguns muzzle breaks and porting are not nearly the factor they are for a pistol or rifle. The best porting for a shoting are a dozen holes drilled about 5" from the muzzle. Any attachment at the end of the barrel is really not doing much. This is what I hear and what I know from experieince. I have two barrels on my 1100 open gun. One is a external brake + choke the second is a ported barrel vang comp style. To be honest spend the money to back bore and open up the forcing cones. Much more improvement there.

On the benelli people are going with thin wall briley chokes. I figure it would work on the sagia. I would go for good chokes.

If your wanting to do 3 gun in the US don't fuck around, get a benelli. The saiga are cool and everything but it is not an advantage for 3 gun. Unless they change the rules where you can run drum mags and segregate slugs from bird from buckshot on stages like they do in international 3 gun the tube guns are going to have the advantage.

I can type a novel on this but the cliffs are Buy a benelli m1 or m2 super 90 21" vent rib w/ choke tubes. Send it off to rob or bevin along with $600 and you will have the best shotgun for 3 gun.

6. Admitted

Thanks as always for the info yar. 3 gun is down the line for me hopefully, after lawl school. I just want to do things at 1 time and not really fuck around.

7. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

8. Admitted

9. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Step 1) Get the S12 converted with the following: shortened barrel, permanently attached shark brake
    Step 2) Sell S12 & drums on Gunbroker.
    Step 3) Profit
    Step 4) Buy a Benelli

That's correcting your mistake and doing things once & right. Pick up a standard 12ga/28" Benelli to use for trap/skeet/clays now, then get an extended tube and a badass barrel for 3-gun later down the road.