safe to wash/detail car after new paintjob?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Akord2NR, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Akord2NR

Akord2NR OT Supporter

alrite...i got my car back just a couple weeks ago from the body shop with a new paint job and the car is already dirty :o . my question....will it be alrite to wash and perhaps wax my car? is there any types of soap/wax i should avoid since this is a new paint job. i heard that you should wait atleast a month before washing after a new paint job :dunno: but my car is dirty as fuck. im a complete newb when it comes to this..please help :o

2. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I've never heard anything about waiting a month before washing. It's generally a good rule to wait about 4-6 weeks before waxing so that the paint can completely cure. Hopefully Scott will respond :)

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

With a paintjob from a paintshop you should wait at least 30 to 60 days before putting a coat of wax on. Between now and that time though, feel free to wash your car and you can even use a glaze on it if you want.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can wash the car immediately but shouldn't use a power washer in the first 7 days. Most shops recommend waiting 30-90 days before waxing so the paint can completely cure. Ask your body shop, they best know their paints.

Definitely wash your car! All that dirt and grime is horrible to leave on your paint.

5. Akord2NR

Akord2NR OT Supporter

thanks guys for the the answers....washed the car today. looks clean now :cool:

6. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

its good for you to wait as far as waxing goes but you can use bodyshop safe products which still allow the paint to cure check out Meguiars 80 series polishes.

7. Scottwax

#80 Speed Glaze will not only remove any light swirls you may have but it lays down a breathable layer of protection that still allows the new paint to cure.

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

wizards line of stuff can be applied over fresh paint as well

9. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

itll bake into the new paint :eek3: even worse if its in the sun

10. White95Max

White95Max Guest

I used to work at a body shop and I would wash the cars the day after they were painted. No problems with it, and I used a Cali Water Blade and a dirty chamois on it, after I washed it with an old nasty wash mitt that had just been used to wash some dirtyass car before it. That's the concern of the bodyshop for ya. I would find swirls and holograms on at least 1 car a week after it had been polished by the "professional" polishing technician.
    I couldn't believe some of the stuff that I was told to use on cars...i.e. Super Iron Out, lacquer thinner...

11. Scottwax

Well, you can just rock me to sleep tonight.... :noes:

After scaring us, are you going to jump out of the bushes at little kids too? :mamoru:

It really is scary what goes on in body shops and a dealerships, isn't it? :ugh2:

12. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

:rofl:

13. White95Max

White95Max Guest

Yeah I hope I never have to see the day when somebody else washes my car. I knew better than to wash fresh paint with that shit, but I had no other option other than refusing to wash the car. That would not have scored big points with my boss.