Safe to use RCA outs AND Speaker leads off a Deck?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by art vandelay, Jun 14, 2007.

1. art vandelay

art vandelay OT Supporter

I would like to install a system into a car that has a 10 speaker stock system - the speakers are decent - and I would like to keep them but just replace an HU.

I am limited in space for amps (this is a convertible) so I thought would it be safe to use the 3 pre outs (front, rear, sub) to a 6 ch amp in the trunk and power the other four speakers from the HU.

Is this viable.. would there be damage done to the HU if I do this? or, are there any alternatives to powering all 10 speakers? :wavey:

2. Bowers & Wilkins

Bowers & Wilkins New Member

theres really no reason to run a 10 channel setup

when they say "10 speaker" they probably mean you have a 3 way setup up front, and a 2 way setup in back

you probably only need 4 channels of your amp (2 for front, 2 for rear) (or 5, including 1 for sub if you have one)

to answer your original question, you can use your HU to power 4 speakers along with an amp, but the HU powered speakers wont sound as good/loud

3. art vandelay

You are correct, its 3 way up front and 2 way in the rear. I want to keep the 3 way up front and have a little fill from the rear mids. SUB will be separate.

So that's 8 spears still in total - 2 woofers, 2 tweeters and 4 mids.

Argh, I want to improve the SQ but don't know how to proceed - I'd like to keep the 3 ways up front if possible.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Well, if it's a 3-way then it's probably run off a single lead. OEM systems typlcally would run the 3-way off of one channel and then use capacitors to act as HPFs for tweets and what-not.

So your "10" speaker car really only has "4" channels. Left & Right for Front & Rear.

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Might want to check to see if you have a factory amp.

6. art vandelay

Ok, there is a factory amp... I've worked on tapping leads before with it.. there are 10 pairs of wires coming out of it that goto each of the 10 speakers. Confirmed with Bentley manuals and my findings. No capacitors/inductors are used.

7. art vandelay

The factory amp actually divides/equalizes the input signal, and then powers the speakers with its calibrated frequencies.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I like how you see a box, call it an "amp" and think that what it does is magic. They use fucking capacitors to do that shit, and they're mounted on the PCB in the amp.