Safe to Plug-in Monitor Outside?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jimmy10to2, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

My work has about 6 CRT monitors sitting outside by the trash bin. I'm curious if my work is just doing some cleaning or if they really are junk. The temperature has been around 0C (32F) all day. We had some sleet earlier and it's quite ''moist'' outside. The monitors are a lil' wet and have a few ice dropplets on them but they aren't soaked by any means.I want to test these monitors before bringing them home with me. My plan is to bring my laptop out here, plug them into the VGA port, and just see if the screen displays an image. Is this safe? I don't want to damage my laptop. I'd keep my laptop in my car as I test them out. However, remember it's about -4C (25F) right now, and the air is ''moist''. Is this safe?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

only safe if you're standing in a puddle... barefoot. And you need to cut the ground plug off... otherwise, not safe.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Generally I don't like it when Jolly talks like that, but in this case I think it's justified. If your common sense doesn't answer your question, maybe experience will. And you've got six tries to get it right, too!

Suck it up and take them home so they can dry off. You can always bring them back.

4. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

haha, I expected these sorts of replies. I figured just wanted to see what other ppl would say.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

doo eeett