Safe to Partition External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bowrofl, Sep 8, 2009.

1. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Sup all. I need an external HD to backup my desktop (running Windows) and laptop (unibody MacBook running OS X, no FireWire so it's gotta be USB :hs:)

Firstly, I've been looking at the Seagate FreeAgent Desk 1TB & wondering if it's decent for an external HD (if it isn't feel free to suggest an alternative).

Secondly, if I decided to partition 500GB of the drive for Windows backup & 320GB of the drive for OS X & the rest for Misc files... would this be safe? I ask because the old external HD I Had (made my AcomData, it was their cheapest one) I had multiple partitions on, and it died after a few months use. I'm not sure whether to chalk that up to the multiple partitions or the fact that it was a piece of shit... that's why I'm hoping one of you will be able to answer this question of mine. :sadwavey:

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

partitions on an external drive are fine and are not the cause of any type of failure.

the seagate freeagent drives are good.

from what i've seen, the usb||firewire->ide||sata controller on these external drives is the compenant that seem to be the most common cause of failed external drives. which means you can take the drive out and stick it somewhere else since the data is still intact. excluding physical damage if dropped...

also bear in mind very cheap external drives also use crap or refurbished hdd's as well has crappy controllers.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Thanks for the reply... it's appreciated!

I'm not sure if it was the USB --> SATA controller... what happened was, I turned on the HD one day and it just clicked loudly 3 times, paused, clicked loudly 3 times (all the while, the drive kept speeding up, slowing down, speeding up) and then just shut itself down. Maybe I can get the data off of the drives, it would be pretty sweet if I could... lost a lot of backed up stuff :\.

Another question.... Windows's Disk Manager seems to suck to partition things. For some reason, it has a problem (with my old external HD) in where it wouldn't make a partition bigger than 100GB or something like that... is there a better Partitioning tool I can use, or a way to get around that in Disk Manager? Should I just format the drive in OS X?