Safe to keeo computer case open

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GuOD, Jan 19, 2005.

1. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I wanted to just test out how cool I could get my gpu. Is it safe to run my computer with the side open and have a desk fan blowing into it? I wasn't sure if dust would cause problems or anything. What about keeping it open on a regular basis? MY temps go up several degrees just by having the side on :(

2. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

just don't let your kitty play in it

3. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

I have no pets or anything. My only concern was dust. I believe jollyogre said one time that you should never keep it open. But having a desktop fan blow into it is different and I wondered if it would make it okay. Or if it's even okay without the desktop fan.

4. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

its ok. just will get uber dusty. and a lot louder.

5. logan

logan vacantskies

I have the side of my case open, and always have on all of my PCs for the past few years. It doesn't accumulate a lot of dust, and this is a dusty town(coastal, humidy 50%+ always, commonly at 75%). So it's preference, but won't help with cooling very much.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I leave mine open on hot days, and put a big oscilating room fan in it to help cool it off. Dust will build up faster, but just use a leaf blower to clean it out every month or so (been doing it for years now lol). Who cares about noise...the louder the colder usually lol.

7. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

haha a leaf blower thats ghetto
    you should cut a little hole in your case and just hook that thing up permanently
    that would get you some air flow :bigthumb:

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lol it would blow my ear drums too. i stick it right into my PSU and the dust shoots out of there "POOF!" it works really well, and it's straight air so it won't harm my components with charged particles or anything like a blow dryer or anything. just don;t stick it right next to your RAM or anything...it's powerful enough to snap the PCB right in half. it'll shoot a baseball pretty far too lmao.

9. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

To the thread starter, there isn't any danger to your PC if you leave the case open, my biggest worry for you would be an ESD if you decide to touch anything inside the PC without being grounded. Just a heads up, any discharge, even one smaller than when people make contact with one another and get zapped, will fry your motherboard.

10. adam17

adam17 now im gonna sing the doom song! doom doom doom do

as long as u dont have ANY pets u should be in good shape. i keep my case open 24/7. mayb once every two or three months do i have to take a can of compressed air to clean it out. even then the dust is very minimal

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

doesn't that suck? electronic components in most PC's are like 500X more sensitive to static shock than we are. A little zap to your finger is like sticking your finger in an outlet to a PC lmao. Although i have zapped my case a few times with bare wires from my CCFL, it rebooted on me, but still works fine. I think a shielded case should prevent any kind of small electric zappage.

12. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

i have built computers with no case at all... and left it like that for a while... no biggy

13. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

cardboard mat? alot of testbed computers are just placed on cardboard, or kitchen counters. that's how i leaktest computers...just lay it all out and run it on cardboard and towels underneath incase of a leak.

14. rightdownupleft

rightdownupleft New Member

my case is always open!! i got my cpu to 79 celsius before...and i dont think thats too good!!!

15. GuOD

GuOD mcflurry diet

i think the airflow in my case sucks.. leaving the side off lowers my GPU temp by 4~ degrees C.

sys temp and cpu temp also go down about 2-3 degrees