GUN Safe room...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Jan 31, 2008.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Has anyone here thought about or actually created a "Safe Room" in their house? What i had in mind is a small room or more likely a large closet (like the master bedroom closet) that you would go in and fortify for some sort of attack.

I had pictured a fairly large master bedroom closet...the walls lined with steel or something strong enough to repel most gunfire. Add an internal sliding door made of the same stuff, so you had normal operation everyday..but could go in and slide the inner door closed, and lock it to keep gunfire and bad guys out. Then some sort of camera system...as elaborate as you want. Maybe just one camera outside the door or the whole house on camera...piped to a monitoring system inside the room. Also a phone line that was not run in the typical "go out back and cut the line" fashion, so you had a way to contact the police or whoever. Some supplies/first aid kit, and of course your weapons safe.

This way in the event of SHTF, intruder attack, assassination attempt...who knows...you could be in a safe place quickly, but be able to stay for a few days if needed.

Way overkill? Possibly...but this all came to mind today after having read about break ins, and listening to 911 call tapes and stuff here recently.

It really disturbs me to know what kind of people are out there in the world, and what they are capable of. Makes me want to be super prepared.

2. I think that some decent training, a shotgun, and making a stand in a bedroom is probably enough. It's pretty unlikely that you will find yourself under siege by an army. If you are awakened in the middle of the night and you don't want to actively clear the house, lock your bedroom door, sit ready with the shotgun, and call the police.

3. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Yes. I would want it in the basement. Walled on all sides: cinderblocks, 1/2" hardened steel, 1/2" ceramic. Bank vault type door. Sealed with an air filtration system so if the bastards try to gas me, joke's on them. There's more but I'm lazy.

4. el capitan

el capitan New Member

panic room? i'm making a pseudo gun room outta some dead space between some new walls in my basement (currently refinishing) figured it would make a good "hidden" storage room for when i go outta town. not really a safe, but still lockable and hidden.

best part is when i slide open the false wall and see my massive 3 gun collection :run:

5. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

The on thing I would be worried about if I locked myself inside a steel closest is that the people were actually there to just kill me and would set the house on fire.

6. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Uh yeah....then theres that.

I don't know why i thought that extreme, the ideas just kept coming. Locked door with shotgun at the ready is probably enough...maybe a camera over the door, routed to the tv so you can see whats going on.

7. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

You could mount some sort of drone gun or remotely aimed weapon so you can aim it from inside the room. :mamoru:

8. Denich

Denich New Member

i regularly visit a canadian gun owners forum (as im from up here)
    not sure about down south but in canada firearms must be stored securely for example for long guns its either with a trigger lock separate from ammunition or in a case of a handgun trigger lock, in a secure container or a room which cannot be easily broken into

so with that being said there are quite a few people who build gun rooms in their houses. usually in the basement, cinder blocks, steel, vault doors and such with lots and lots and lots of guns inside.... as soon as i buy a house im building one......

and about building a panic room in case someone wants to kill you..... take the tinfoil hat off, chances are that no one is after you... and they are then you are SOL a silly room will not stop them ( personally id either go to the floor below and shoot up the ceiling or to the attc and shoot up the floor, and when you stop screaming, take a chainsaw to the floor or the ceiling and cut myself a new doorway.....

another thing to worry about is will the structure support the increased weight.....