Safe mounting products for dashboard?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Dorn, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Dorn

Dorn New Member

I need to securely mount my XM antenna on my dashboard, but I have no clue what a safe product to use is. Any ideas or recommendations?

2. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Double sided tape would probably work out....

If you ever needed to take it off it would only leave a sticky residue behind which could be taken off with different products.

3. Dorn

Dorn New Member

What about mounting tape, normally used for posters?

4. CBlakeNS

CBlakeNS New Member

Not sure what that is, but its probably like double sided tape --sticky on both sides..

I think double sided tape would work best considering I would never drill into my dash nor put certain types of glue on there that would mess the finish up.

Here is double sided tape,
    [​IMG]

Both sticky and I think it would work perfect, how big is the antenna?

5. Dorn

Dorn New Member

It's a small one, little less than a square inch.

The mounting stuff for posters is like a foam with sticky on both sides. A form of double sided sticky tape.

6. dilligaf

dilligaf -

what about trying that clay that teachers use to hang stuff on their walls. It is kind of sticky and it holds when you put pressure on it but it will peel off cleanly.

I don't know if it will work with the weight of the antenna but it popped in my head so.....

7. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Gimme Nuts, Bolts and 12 Volts

I think that stuff has oils in it that will leech into the dash over time. I remember I used some of it to hang a poster on my wall for a couple of years, and when I pulled it down, the clay left damp spots on the wall.

8. Original

Original OT Supporter

Sticky Tack, hmm I bet everytime he hit a bump the thing would fall off, I don't know :dunno:

Just a thought, when I installed my Plug n' Play for Sirius, I didn't want it mounted on the windshield and my dashboard was too rounded and low profile in my car so the guy who installed it removed the plastic/rubber insert in one of the cup holders and drilled holes into the empty slot and bolted it in that way. Looks very :coolugh: and I could always just put the cup holder inserts back in if I wanted to take the radio out.

Just giving ideas :hsd:

[edit] Is it just an antenna or is it the headunit?