Safari web browser

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Mar 22, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

So, Safari is now available for Windows. How strange is that? Anyone going to give it a shot?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I already tried it out, and there was a couple of minor details that really bugged me.

One is that when you go to resize the window, you don't get the double arrow that you're used to seeing in windows. You just put the cursor on the corner and move it.

The other somewhat minor detail, which was the deal breaker for me, is that Safari doesn't remember the screen size or position the next time you open it up. And I'm not going to resize a window every time I open it up.

And to make matters worse, windows doesn't see it as an active window.
    Now normally, if I have two windows open, say Firefox and IE, I will right click the toolbar and select tile windows vertically. And the two windows will snap to 50% of the screen. But that won't work with Safari.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I was talking my buddy (computer idiot) through the update on his Mac, and decided to give it a shot. Worked pretty well on my laptop, but I haven't used it on my PC yet. I'll probably download it a bit so I can nitpick it like Doc did. ;)

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i just installed it, but haven't bothered with it yet. i hate when someone ports software and refuses to follow the rules of the new OS.

5. jdw

jdw New Member

wait, it's relatively new on PC? Didn't realize that..

I've got it on my work computer for debugging and I'm not real impressed - especially not enough to switch primary browsers.

6. I use it on my Vista machine at work. There are a few bugs with the window itself as Vista tries to make it look all aero, but Safari tries to make it look like the Mac. One guy mentioned that it doesn't remember screen position and size, but it always does on my computer. Also, the "find" feature in safari is awesome. Control-F and then start typing, it searches as you type. It darkens the window and highlights all the words matching your search terms. It's a million times better than search in IE7 and about a thousand times better than Firefox. Also, I like the feature where when you type in the address bar it will automatically fill in the bar with what matches your typing. IE will give you the list of what it thinks you want, but you have to use the down arrow to select even the first choice, safari automatically fills in the first choice, and you only have to use the arrows to select other choices.

7. Doc Brown

Well I tried it the first week it was released, and sent a user report to them over the issues I had with it.
    I suppose enough people did that, that they fixed the remembering window position/size.
    I would still like to know if windows sees it as an active window though.
    Otherwise trying to do the "tile windows vertically" just expands one window that's open, and not Safari.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

that is an option you have to turn on with IE and i always turn it on. it is called inline autocomplete and it is under advanced options. why they bury it is beyond me. ive been trying to find a firefox plugin that does that as well.

9. I just installed XP Pro with Boot Camp on my MBP and tried it. It does tile the safari windows properly.

10. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

about:config
    browser.urlbar.autoFill

11. Doc Brown

Eh, maybe I'll have to give it another try then.

12. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

woot! awesome sauce!