safari questions (tabbing, google, slow forms)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tefnut, Oct 24, 2004.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

First off, I just switched to Macs and I love the thing, it just works :)

1) Is there a page-up key on the (Powerbook 15") keyboard?
    2) How can I get the Google search to open up in a new tab?
    3) How can I get Safari not to close a window that has multiple tabs open? I sometimes forget I have tabs and I lose all the different sites I was surfing :hs:
    4) When I type in a forums box (like OT's reply boxes) it's noticeably 'laggy'. Does this happen to anyone else?
    5) How can I see the download speeds when the download manager shows up?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  2. Icedog

Icedog New Member

Hey, and welcome to the world of Macintosh :wavey:
    I'm assuming you are using Safari, while I like Firefox over Safari, I think Safari does just fine in many regards.
    I have a 15inch powerbook as well, though it's a few years old. 667 w/DVI

1)Powerbook do have page up and down buttons, they're on the “T” arrow buttons,
    To use them, hold down the “apple” button to do the Home and End style behavior, and to just scroll down a little at a time hold down the “fn” key when you push those buttons.

2)hmmm, no idea on that one actually.

3)That's another one I don't know how to do, but firefox has that feature by default if it's something you think you would really like.

4)I've never really noticed safari being 'laggy' when I type, the only time I've seen it slow down is when I scroll through those animated .gif orgies. How much RAM do you have?

5)Safari doesn't seem to tell you download speeds. But it does tell you how many MB out of how many MB have been downloaded and even tells you (fairly accurately) how much time is remaining. I believe firefox does show you this info, so if that's something that is that important then I guess firefox is in your future.

Sorry I couldn't answer all the questions for you. I'd download firefox and give that a try.

3. tefnut

tefnut build

Yeah, Firefox had a bunch of those features, but for some reason I'm getting attached to Safari. Anyway, I downloaded QuickSilver so now Google is insta-load :) The laggy is on OT, other vB-running sites are fine strangely enough - and it's not even the quick-reply, it's the advanced reply. Regardless, it's not that important. The FN-up arrow works perfectly, thanks.

BTW, I just sort of thought about Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, etc... These are upgrades on OSX right, going through its evolutions? Are they free from 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4? If not, are they expensive to upgrade? (Also, how often do these new OSX versions come out? Windows seems to have a 2-3 year product cycle)

4. Kriddaw

Kriddaw More than meets the eye.

I sometimes get the slow forms as well, very rarely though, but it's not just you. :)

5. Icedog

Icedog New Member

the major revisions (10.2 > 10.3 > 10.4) are not free. They are similar to the major upgrades in the windows world.. For a while they were being released every year or so, but it seems that Apple is finally slowing down some. Panther (10.3) came out last October I beleive and Tiger (10.4) is not expected until sometime first half of '05. The best part about the upgrades is that they keep getting faster, even for my little 667 PB.
    About every few months or so, Apple will release minor updates to the OS. These are free and are numbed like 10.3.2 > 10.3.3 > 10.3.4 I beleive we're on 3.5 right now.

6. dmora

dmora Guest

I get slow forms a lot actually. I think it might be due to how long the thing has been running. I let my comp run usually 2 weeks or more with out rebooting.

7. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

I think safari gets a little lagged on a page with alot of animated gifs. My mac is older tho (g4 450) so that might be the cause.

8. Astroboy

Astroboy AcuraZine.com

use Firefox, it's infinitely better than Safari.

9. dmora

dmora Guest

:eek3: Holy shit, havent seen you around in a while. :wavey:

10. Astroboy

Astroboy AcuraZine.com

Yeah, i don't spend too many hours on OT anymore!

nice to see ya :big grin:

11. Minnesota Fats

Minnesota Fats Family Guy>*

to get a new tab from the google search box, type the search keywords then hold down the command key and press return

12. elcano

elcano Guest

I get laggy forms on my iBook 800 in Safari when there are a lot of ani gifs.
    I honestly prefer safari to firefox for general browsing as the window handling is much faster, but when it comes to animated gifs, firefox wins hands down.

13. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

The only problem I have with Safari is the fact that it locks up for me when I try to close it out a lot of times. So I switched to Firefox optimized for the Dual G5.

14. Raddiux

Raddiux Guest

Yeah Safari is pretty slow on OT, especially with a lot of animated gifs. Not much you can do about that though.

To view the speed you are downloading at, just option-click on your download in the download window, and it should appear. I don't understand why this changed this in the first place (it used to always show the speed by default in previous versions of Safari).

15. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

#2: hold down the apple key as you hit enter on the google query. :coold:

16. there is also an option on the Google settings page to have searches open in a new window

17. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

1) I don't think so but it's your laptop so go look. lol.
    2) You can't; just do a new tab (apple+t) before doing a google search.
    3) I do it all the time, accedentally. No idea on this one. It needs an alert box like on firefox. :/
    4) That happens to me all the time- which is why I am using the quick reply right now. Yet- still no idea.
    5) Look. It's one of the things under the actual download item in the manager when it pops up. Some sites do not display the completed file size though- which I notice sometimes.

18. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

I use quicksilver also. It's awsome! Heres a screenshot;
    [​IMG]

19. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

haha. Definitly have to agree with ya on that one :hsd:

20. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

hah. that's awesome. I just launched up Safari for the first time in a while and tryed that out (firefox user). awesome!