Safari Problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Morpheus647, May 17, 2009.

1. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

Lately I have been having a problem with Safari where after about 5 minutes it will stop loading any pages. The only way that I can get it to function again is to quit it and launch it again. I have to quit it by doing a force quit, if I try and quit with command q it just hangs forever. Any ideas whats wrong or how to fix it?

2. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

fix permissions
    and reset safari in the safari drop down menu

3. Morpheus647

Morpheus647 New Member

How long should it take to repair permissions? I did it but it was still going after like 15 minutes so I stopped it. I tried resetting but that didnt fix it.

Whats a good alternate browser that I can use in the meantime? I'm not a huge fan of firefox on the mac.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Opera or Camino, but definitely let it fix permissions first.

5. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My Safari is doing the same thing! I've tried permissions reset and reset safari and all that... doesn't seem to fix it. It doesn't do it every time I use Safari, but enough to be annoying.

6. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

add fixing permissions to your monthly or quarterly schedule... if it's taking 15 minutes to do, you're not doing system maintenance enough...

7. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

My friends computer was crashing whenever Safari would load. Even sitting at a blank page.

Turns out there was a problem with Java according to the console. Downloading & reinstalling it fixed it for a while but it came back. Eventually installing 10.5.7 fixed it. So try reinstalling the latest service pack for your OS.

8. 1stgenrocks

1stgenrocks New Member

how do you fix permissions? and what kind of maintence should i be doing to mine. my mini gets slow as hell after awhile. usually mostly in safari. but it seems to speed back up if i reset the computer. probably something to do with me usually putting it in sleep mode rather then actually turning it off when im done using it

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

1) open up disk utility in your utilities folder, click on your drive, click verify permissions, once thats done, click repair permissions...

or do what i do and use this automator script that'll take care of a bunch of basically system maintenece: http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/automator/maintenance.html

2) sleep mode is fine on the mac, i've never shut down my ibook in the 4+ years of owning it, just restarting it for system updates or when i have issues... i've always just put it to sleep...