Sacd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by El Slotho, Jun 12, 2002.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

[​IMG]

Sony is selling out an SACD player, the SCD CE775, for $199.95. I bought one myself tonight, and could not be happier. It's a little on the light side with a fixed power cord, but I have been listening to jaw-dropping SACD sound all night. My sound has never been so rich, with such an expansive soundstage it made me laugh at first, all while being hyper-detailed, perfectly paced, and completely uncolored. I could use the rest of the clicheed terms, but to those who have heard SACD they are unnecessary.

I had to laugh, though. MJ's Thriller sounded exactly how I remember it on vinyl. Also, the title selections are limited, but I still spent more on SACDs than I spent on the player. Bought were:

Stevie Ray Vaghan and Double Trouble, Texas Flood
    Tony Bennet, Unplugged
    Grover Washington, Jr., Prime Cuts
    Willie Nelson, Stardust
    Issac Stern, Vivaldi's Four Seasons
    Michael Jackson, Thriller
    Deep Forest III, Comparsa.

A/Bing between a copy of Comparsa on the $200 Sony and a non-SACD copy on my $1400 Adcom GCD-750 showed the total limitations of the now-banal CD player. I just didn't want to listen to anything else besides SACD. For those who are interested, here is a link to the audioreview ranking:

http://www.audioreview.com/PRD_126697_2758crx.aspx

Everything but SACD playback may be standard/substandard, but I could care less. It is a stunning player for short money, and I look forward to hearing it after the rumored 400 hour break-in time. I highly recommend this player to those who are considering going SACD.

My system:

B&K Reference 4420
    Adcom GCD-750
    Adcom GFA-750
    Linn Tukan
    Audioquest Viper interconnects
    JPS Superconductor cabling
    Music and Sound power cords throughout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a work in progress, but I did have a professional installer friend come over and help me set it up so far. We've only been in the house for 6 months, and I am finally getting around to the basement. The ceiling is low, and the floor is a light carpet over concrete. Compared to the condo that I came from, this is heaven. :)

2. WERES THE T.V DUDE?

3. El Slotho

Dude

There is no T.V., that's a two channel stereo. The TV is upstairs along with the rest of the home theatre equipment, which I never use.

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

You might want to consider pulling those speakers away from the wall, and out away from the component rack. It will make a HUDGE differnce in youe sound stage. I know when i moved my rack, i had a dramatic increase in soundstage.
    Also, get your ass to home depot, get some polyfill, and some fabric, an make yourself some acoustic tileing. The room has got to have some odd sound happening in it. Definatly line your rear wall if its concrete, and make sure youve got some acouatic treatment on the walls. And later if you even add a nice tight sub to the mix, might want to consider a base trap too. Basements are notorious for that sort of thing.

Alot of work, yes, but the net result is sweet.

5. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

ive seen alot of people weigh down their cd players as in putting in weights inside and then weighin down the top

some say they can hear a difference

6. El Slotho

Good stuff, Buck, I will be looking into such acoustic treatments very soon, I just finished the attic bedroom and now have time to do the basement right. Last night when we were dicking around with speaker placement, I actually found that the current speaker position sounded best from my listening "throne," but only with my head tilted back as I like to lounge on the chair. I found that when sitting straight up, I lost a lot of presense, but leaning slightly forward brought me right back into the sweet spot (I want to get a smaller and less imposing rack, but that Bello piece was given to me so I saved the cash where I could). It's amazing what proper placement can do to the sound.

Of course, I have considered just buying a set of Klipschorns, shoving them into their respective corners, and have Club Slotho, but my girlfriend would kill me. I did try adding a sub, but it was a sucky sub and detracted from my monitors' razor sharp sound. I think I will try one of those Sunfire True Subwoofer Jrs. next time.

I think this falls under componentry isolation. My old neighbor used to be a big fan of such tweaks, he would always lay a paper towel on top of his CD player and add a decent amount of sand on top to (I think) deaden any chassis noise. He swore it made the sound quieter, in turn yielding better detail. He was running Magnepan 1.6's through an all-Linn system, and in his garage because the wifey wouldn't let it in the small condo. His acoustic treatments were hilarious, there were all sorts of funky foam pads peppering the place but I admit the sound was fantastic in the end.

7. El Slotho

Tweeter, etc. They are also selling them at Circuit City but the CC's nearest me were all sold out. http://www.sony.com has them listed as $199.95 as well, I assume Sony is trying to flood the market in order to gain support for the format.

It is seriously the best $200 addition/upgrade/mod etc. that I have ever spent along the lines of sound upgrades.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Hey, Slotho, the sunfire, while a nice sub, is not what i would consider "musical". I whould look at somthing more along the lines of a Hsu Research, or the Adire Rava. The Rava is SWEET! Its a sealed 12" Shiva DVC sub, and its is as clean and as crisp as you could like, with good extension down to the 35hrz range. Which is more then plenty for music. Plus its right at $300...cant beat a deal like that. :bigthumb:

P.S. Im a big fan of Adire Audio products, and recemend them as much as possible. So if i sound anal about adire...its because i am. ;)

9. El Slotho

Velodyne HGS?

When I last demoed subs, I tried a True Sub, the Jr., a Linn Seizmik and a 10" and 12" Velodyne HGS. The 10" HGS surprised me, I honestly found it to be very musical where I had assumed it to be just a home theatre ground-pounder. The Sunfire Jr. was the best of the lot, but only because the rest of those heavy hitters would be totally wasted in my basement.

Upstairs would be another story, I would love to replace my food stamp 100W JBL 10" with either the 12" HGS/Seizmik/True Sub as I have the room for it to get down. I am waiting for the floor models to go on sale at Ensemble, at which point I hope they will let me steal one. :wiggle:

Thanks for the heads-up on the Adire, Buck-O, at that price point it sounds like a bargain, I will see if I can find one to hear. I also have definitely heard a lot of good press on the Hsu subs, but have yet to hear one in person.

10. Dekap

Dekap Guest

.......... :rofl:

11. El Slotho

also, for Grumpybb

[​IMG]

This 28-lb SACD beauty is being sold out for $699 at Tweeter as well. I passed it up because I already had a separate reference DVD player (Sony DVP-7700ES), and CD player (the Adcom) and only needed SACD playback. My friend owns this piece, and it is one hell of a unit even at its original $1500 price. The only thing that pissed me off is that it cannot play multi-channel SACD recordings, something that the $199.95 unit does.

Even still, I want one. :big grin:

12. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

13. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

No, the sunfire is not musical...to me its to boomy, and peaky at some octives. And i dont like that. Its not very smooth either, it just lumbers its way through most things. I personally find it a better HT sub then a musical sub. Likewise with M&K, especially on their PR subs. Any sub with a PR is going to be slow to respond, and have peaky octives, as well as some boomyness. Its just the nature of a PR sub.

Musical subs are all about speed...not displacment. WHich is probibly why slotho was so impressed by that 10". The tighter you can make the sub, the better off you are for music. Most all of the really high end music specific subs are all sealed, and most all never excede 12" in diameter. But, they are being driven by 300 watt or more. In the attempt to make it move quickly, and tightly. A musical sub is about low end filler...not low end presence. 90% of the people that come to my house do not know i have a sub. Or see the sub and ask why its not on...untill i pull off the grill and reveal a dancing shiva pounding away. And suddenly people get it. So look for a sub thats transparent to your system, not one that goes boom...music doesnt go boom(well, at least REAL music doesnt)...so why should the sub?

14. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

15. El Slotho

Nice unit. I like how it plays DVD-A and multichannel SACD, and the price is right too.

Has anyone any experience with REL subs? Aside from seeing them on the floor at Tweeter I have yet to actually sit down and give a listen. From what I understand, they are decent, although not necessarily in a 2-channel setup? Plus they aren't too terribly priced...but for upstairs I want something that registers on the Richter Scale, so I will be waiting until I can get exactly what I want.

Like that ML sub. That nasty mofo is next on my list to demo, although I do wonder if it's as prohibitively expensive as it looks.

[​IMG]

16. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

How about some SonoTube, two shivas, and a tune to 20Hrz...that sombitch would get your floor moving quite well.