S100 over Zaino: Please Advise.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by El Slotho, Aug 26, 2003.

1. El Slotho

El Slotho Every hour wounds. The last one kills.

Okay, after 2 years of Zaino fanaticism I find myself unable to resist the allure of S100 - especially not after almost three years of repeated jaw-dropping pictures from Scott. My question is this - My car is meticulously maintained, swirl-free and had its last coat of Z2 a little over a month ago - should I strip the Zaino or can I just apply the S100 over it? I remember Scott mentioning awhile ago that some choose to add a final layer of S100 over their Zaino finish, however I will strip the Z if it is recommended for best reflectivity.

Thoughts are appreciated, otherwise I am probably going to apply the S100 right over the current finish. For those interested, here is a pic of my car as it currently sits:

(i know you are on dialup, Scott, so I resized the pic to ~100K)

http://www.ziplink.net/~ctroiane/cf/two.jpg

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Do not put s100 over Zaino. Call Sal Zaino and ask him why

3. Renegade

Renegade New Member

i already topped s100 over zaino, why dont u tell me why its so bad so i dont have to call sal.

4. Paulie Walnuts

It is not that it is bad in a sense its just pointless. It will not properly bond to the Zaino. I talk with Sal monthly and he explained it all to me but I dont have the time to post it that is why I suggested calling him and getting it straight form the horses mouth. I do not think that the s100 enhances the shine enough to justify it.

5. El Slotho

So be it. From what I have seen, Scottwax is a man who makes his living detailing cars. He is reknown across multiple internet forums, and if he recommends the combo then it is good enough for me. If I do not like the way it comes out, I will strip the car fully and do it over.

It is the only thing to do, since clearly no answer is forthcoming from the specifically-queried "expert(s)."

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I don't use Zainos, so I have no real life experience with topping it with anything. I know a lot of people on www.autopia.org top Zainos with S100 and Pinnacle's Souveran. Most like the effect, some do not. Those who do like it say it tends to not attract as much dust as untopped Zainos.

Will it bond? I think the jury it out on that. Of course, Sal Zaino is going to say it won't, he has designed a line of products that he believes work well enough together that no other products are needed. I'm also sure he (and pretty much any other wax company) is not real keen on hearing that someone else's product is needed on top of his to get the best look. Just like with Clearkote or Pinnacle, the owners feel that their line of products work best with each other.

My opinion is that if you like the look of Zainos topped with S100, then go ahead and use it. You can try it on the trunk lid first, so if you don't like how it looks, removing it with Dawn should be easy and quick. Give it a day or so since carnubas tend to look best after 24 hours or so when the oils in them even out.

7. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

The Z6 gloss enhancer spray is anti-static, does a great job at keeping dust and pollen off the car if you can spray and wipe it every few days.

Zaino is pretty slick stuff, I don't know how another wax will bond with it, but I do know that in order to apply a decal or any other sticky item (emblem's, tags, etc.) you have to strip the Zaino off first or it doesn't stick (or at best, won't stick for long).

I may have to try the Zaino/S100 combo, heading to autopia.com right now to see if there's any pics :)

8. El Slotho

Here are a few apres-S100 pics, with a few thoughts. I cannot conceive of an easier wax to apply and remove, I followed the directions and did not let the wax fully dry on the car before removal, and the result was completely different than my usual Z2 shine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See that? I know it is impossible for anyone to know what the car usually looks like in this light, but there is indeed a definitive "wet look" that Z2 alone does not have. When I first posted pics in this forum over 2 years ago, Scott described the Zaino shine as "hard, sharp reflections," and not particularly "wet" looking. I never understood this until about an hour ago when I first pulled the car out of the garage. The car looked a lot more wet, felt much slicker than any Z2 layer in the past two years, and started shimmering in the waning light in a way Zaino never, ever did. There was also none of the static associated with a fresh coat of Z, although this was always alleviated by Z6, I am sick of buying bottle after small bottle of the shit.

I am sold. It went on slick, came off easy, and did not leave one white mark on my highly volatile black moldings (that show every white mark from every slip of the wax pad since I have owned it). Smelled kinda nice too. :big grin:

More pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I am done with the E36, it will be time to try it out on these two, neither of which have had their first wax:

[​IMG]

9. Scottwax

El Slotho -- Dude! :cool: cars!

Nice pics too. Thanks for the input, good to see someone has used the combo and had good results.

10. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Is that S100 over Zaino? autopia.org has decided to wait a few decades before letting me authorize my account, so I guess I'll dig for info here.

11. Scottwax

Autopia has had some server issues, so that is probably why it is taking a while. Site should be completely back to normal by tomorrow.

12. El Slotho

Thanks Scott - the G35 and newer M3 aren't mine, the Infiniti is a car that my father keeps at my house for times when he visits from Florida, and the silver M3 belongs to an OTer from California who found the right car in Boston, and who is currently arranging for transportation. :)

I do have an 01 TT Roadster in the garage that will also be getting the full S100 treatment now. It hasn't had any other products on it save for some Meguiar's wax back in June, so it's ripe for some lovin'.

Mojo,

That is S100 on a car that has had nothing but Zaino on it for the past two years. I am very happy with the result, and will post more pics as soon as I have one more light coat of S100 on the car, and have the right light for some decent pics.

Thanks again Scott. This little experiment worked better than I ever would have thought. :bigthumb:

13. Paulie Walnuts

You are not missing much being locked out of Autopia, excpet nazi moderators, and a bunch of the same questions answered over and over and over again. Then you can listem to the mods yell at them about posting in wrong forums. Then the mods can slam you if they dont like a product that you are using, ask a certain mod here about that ;-)
    Dont fall victium to that place. You can get a lot of info reading there but Scottwax will tell you how it really is.

14. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Listen, I don't know who you are and I don't care. You have a poor attitude about everything anyone says and the products that they choose to use. Autopia is a great wealth of information on detailing. You say they have a lot of the same questions asked over and over again there? Shit, you haven't been here very long then. :rolleyes:

It's a good thing I'm not in a position of leadership here, your ass would be gone. Keep the negative attitude to yourself, no one wants to hear it.

15. Scottwax

Chill! Lets all keep personal attacks out of the threads. PM each other.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  16. Paulie Walnuts

Lets not forget Jngrbreadman RedCarGuy and GeekySteve! The triplet tools of the year!

17. Scottwax

Never had a problem with jngrbrdman or RedCarGuy, and geekysteve and I have long since ironed out our differences. Maybe if you PMed them, you could work out the problems?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2003
  18. Bad Mojo

Bad Mojo Guest

Sweet, gonna have to get me some of that S100 and try it out over my Zaino. I'll probably keep up both, Zaino for the sealing/protection/durability, and S100 for the "wet look"...

Only one question:
    When it comes time to put on another coat of Zaino, I assume I'll have to strip off any remaining S100... Any tips on what would be a good way to do so? Would just a good wash do it?

19. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

Just a simple dawn wash should take care of it. Then you should be able to apply more Z or any other product. I just got my first Z shipment yesterday (ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7) and I am going to see how it looks. I am a Klasse AIO/SG + S100 user, and want to see the difference...

Oh, yeah, BTW, I think Autopia is a great source of info, and Scottwax has got to have some of the most gifted "hand jobs" :bigthumb: in detailing!

20. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

If you Dawn wash, you'll strip all the layers of Zaino already on the paint... he doesn't want to strip the whole thing every time he wants to put another layer on.

21. Paulie Walnuts

Dawn will not strip Zaino, this came directly from Sal. You would have to wash with dawn about 10 times to get one layer off.

22. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

So, what strips Zaino then? Why don't you ask Sal that in your "monthly conversations" with him. Seriously, what if I were to get a car that was Zainoed and wanted to detail my way. How would I strip the Zaino?

23. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

Like I said, since dawn is an alkaline solution, the dawn wash will strip WAXES and OILS, but not Zaino. As far as I know there are only two ways to remove Zaino, buff it off with an abrasive or clay, or disolve it with a chemical such as isopropyl alcohol. :wiggle:

24. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

Mojo, Lemme know if you wanna try the S100 and I'll let ya use the can I have so you don't spend any money before you know if you like it or not. One of these days I will put it on the Impala. It definately looked nice on the Harley.

25. Paulie Walnuts

The way that you remove Zaino is via buffing with an abrasive such as Klasse AIO (my personal preference even though it is a cleaner more than an abrasive) or an isopropal alcohol mix. Clay will remove some but not all of the Zaino.