S10 owners...questions inside.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by onedownfiveup, Nov 21, 2009.

1. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

At first I was looking at getting a late 90's to early 2000 Silverado 1/2 Ton but right now I'm thinking I can spend alittle less and get an S10 in those years and pay 3k - 8k less.

My question is I don't know much about them other than what they look like and that they come with a 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder. I believe they came with the 2.2L or the 4.3L. How many miles is the limit as to where I should walk away? I'm going to be dealing with trucks in the 100k range I'm sure.

I'm looking at more the extended cab and the 6 cylinder because I would like to haul something light possible a small trailer with a motorcycle on it.

If I find one in the right price range I might even go with 4x4.

2. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Go with the 4.3. Its a good motor (basically 3/4 of a 350) and will last 200k. You'll probably need to replace the injector assembly if it hasn't been done already. Its expensive if you pay someone to do it, reasonable if you can do it yourself.

Check the radiator for rust. I had one that had the dexcool rust issue, and it ended up killing my trans when the radiator rusted out and contaminated the trans cooler. That was an expensive repair.

Check out s-seriesforum.com or s-series.org. Its been a few years since I've owned one so its tough to comment on anything new thats wrong with these.

3. onedownfiveup

Thanks for the info.

I drive maybe 8k miles a year so buying something with a little more miles isn't a big deal. I don't really plan on having it that long anyways so I just wanted to make sure I didn't have it longer than it's life span of the engine.

4. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

I'v had my S10 for 9 years. Its been the most rock solid bullet proof vehicle i'v owned. Right now my truck has 130,000 miles, and its still running just fine. It hasnt had any major issues. Just routine maintenance stuff. Much of the mileage is off road. The truck has lived a hell of a life. I plan on doing a solid axle swap to it next.

Here's a pic of it as it is now.

[​IMG]

5. ABSTRAKT

ABSTRAKT per aspera ad astra

I have a 94 Sonoma right now (same as s10)

Has the 4.3 Vortec V6.

Honestly its a really nice truck, The ride is pretty good for a truck and the engine is strong. I have 169,000 on the odometer right now, No issues. It was a one owner before me so it has been taken care of..but you can find good deals on them pretty easily. I paid 2500 for it about 4 months ago which some think is a little high, but there is no rust and the interior is mint. Parts are cheap as shit too.

So far I've driven it to Florida and back and to North Carolina and back, Averaged about 22 MPG on the Highway. I usually get about 17 in the city.

I'd suggest it.

[​IMG]

6. onedownfiveup

I'm not excluding the Sonoma. Honestly, the more I think about it I don't really need a half ton truck. The main reason why I was looking for a half ton truck was because my roommate wants to buy a boat and said if I get a truck then he can get a boat since his parents lake house only has enough boat lifts for the boats they have down there and we'd need to pull it back and forth every time. He's been talking about getting a truck too lately so I'm thinking he can get a truck to pull his boat with.

I don't really have anything heavy duty to haul so I don't really need a half ton. I figured if I at least get a 4.3 S-10/Sonoma I can at least haul something somewhat light if need be.

7. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Honestly, if your going to get a chevy with the 4.3L you might as well get the full size with the V8 my parents have an 03 with the 5.3L 4x4 and they get the same as my friends 4.3L blazer 5 speed.

8. onedownfiveup

There's a big price difference though.

9. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

yeah but bigger and better. Its worth the cost trust me. You get a bigger and much more comfortable interior, the ride is better, you have a bigger bed. Over all its just a lot nicer to have a bigger truck when the mileage isn't a huge difference.

10. ABSTRAKT

ABSTRAKT per aspera ad astra

Well if you do get a full-size, DO NOT get the 4.3 V6 in it..I had an 03 Silverado with the 4.3, Same engine as I have now, and in the full-size it sucked. Not enough power for the weight of it.

Oh and don't forget to have the tranny looked over before you buy something..best thing you can do after you get one is change the trans fluid and filter. It's kind of a bitch to do..but worth doing it yourself. I changed mine for a total of $35..Shops charge at least $100 to change JUST the fluid..not the filter too.

11. onedownfiveup

Yeah, if I were to get a full size it'd be the v8 model.

12. huskerfoos

huskerfoos New Member

I have a 96 with 280K. been the best vehcle I have ever owned.