GUN S&W 686 vs. Ruger GP100

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Powderburn, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

ive got revolver fever....im torn between these two....recently S&W raised their prices on the 686 from what WAS 550-570 to 620....its because of this im re-evaluating the gp100...im lookin at a 4 inch barrel model for either one...6 shot is fine...im not gonna pay an extra 20 bux for an extra round when its just a range gun..
    those of you that own one of these, or both, gimme some feedback on which youd go with for a gun thatll see only range use...not self defense, not concealed carry.
    i know the smith trigger is a lil smoother outta the box, but im gonna wind up giving either one a trigger job anyway.

Thanks!

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

SW ftw. Ive shot both, and truthfully I just didnt like the Ruger. It didnt seem to have as good of balance as the SW. *shrugs*

best bet, go to a range and try out both.

3. timmy8151

timmy8151 New Member

I'd say go with the GP100. While they don't have the triggers out of the box like a Smith, they are built like tanks. My GP100 can take hot loads without a hiccup.

I personally own a 3" GP100 that was a police trade in. The gun has been utterly reliable for thousands of rounds and the DA trigger is extremely smooth.

4. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

smith easy, I own a 686+ 4".