GUN S&W .50 caliber Magnum

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Volkl, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Volkl

Volkl New Member

So a buddy of mine just bought this hand cannon. This gun is ridiculous. I have yet to see it at the range, but just holding it is frightening. It is EXACTLY like this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=12192477

He has talked me into getting my FOID card, and will be taking me to a guns show in a month for my first purchase...

2. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Anyone know the fps of the .50 S&W Magnum? I'm wondering if it offers any distinct advantages over a Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 or .450 Marlin ballistics wise.

Nice looking revolver, although you'd be hard pressed to convince me it's anything other than a novelty.

3. taco

taco Guest

so when is ruger gonna chamber this cartridge and sell more of them than smith does?

Anyways isn't this just a renamed 500 linebaugh.

I really don't see the point to getting one of these other than to brag that you got the biggest.

I have a ruger super red hawk in 44 mag and it will easily kill any game I would feel comfortable hunting with a handgun.

4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

the smith 500 is a beast. i have yet to hear of a dealer that can actually keep them in stock. be that the fault of demand or lack of supply, who knows, but they disappear as soon as they come in.

5. taco

taco Guest

Wow when you type into the quick reply and can't read what you just wrote because the box is so small it really comes out like a bunch of nonsense strung together.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

The .500 S&W will throw 400gr at about 1650fps. Comes out to like 2300-2400 ft/lbs on target.

S&W isn't making a lot of them.

7. taco

taco Guest

Try a 440 grain at 1654 fps. 2672 Foot lbs. of energy :eek3:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2003
  8. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

It was in Pop Mechanics about 2 months ago. If I find mine, I'll grab info they collected. Saw one in person when I got my rifle. Awe inspiring.