GUN S&W 360/340PD experiences

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by PWRDbyTRD, Dec 22, 2007.

1. PWRDbyTRD

PWRDbyTRD Guest

I was just curious if anyone in here had gotten their hands on the Scandium J frame 360/340PD. If so, give us a review of what you thought of it. Specifically the recoil. Please don't speculate if you haven't shot one. I can do that on my own.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you've smashed your hand with a hammer please tell me how it felt, no speculations on how it felt though. :big grin:

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I own the 340pd. I do NOT carry .357 in it. Shooting .357 without gloves is an exercise in pain. The recoil is so jarring as to be nearly unusable. It feels very similar to catching a swinging baseball bat with your bare hands.

Shooting .38spl+p or +p+ is not too horrible though. But I'd rather have just gotten the .38spl model and saved a couple hundred dollars.

All that said, it's a great pocket gun and it goes with me pretty much everywhere.

4. PWRDbyTRD

PWRDbyTRD Guest

Do you use the Speer 135 Gr SBGD

5. CKMustangCobra

CKMustangCobra New Member

I know this totally goes against the thread starters requests....

but....

I have a 640 and I shoot .357 out of it no problem. There is a MP340 at my local shop for $719, they would give me $400 for trade on mine....

I might do it. Cause I'm not a pussy.

6. PWRDbyTRD

PWRDbyTRD Guest

I'd say go for it. Something you may wish to consider is the fact that the 340/360PD weighs HALF of what the 640 does. The amount of recoil that your hand is forced to absorb is staggering. Everyone I've spoken to about this pistol says it's painful with full power 357 loads.

My personal experience: I shot a S&W Magnum 500 with a 8.??" barrel. The recoil in comparison to a 158 gr Federal Cartridge out of the 360PD was pleasant. If you trade it in. Let me know!

7. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I don't remember what weight, but they are golden sabers

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I've owned the .500 and still own a .460 (which is worse than the .500 I think) and these are nothing like the felt recoil on the 340. It has nothing to do with being pussy - it just plain hurts.

9. PWRDbyTRD

PWRDbyTRD Guest

How do you like the 460 XVR? I've gotten my hands on a Desert Eagle in .44 Magnum and .50 AE. I've also shot the .500 Magnum with a 8.??" barrel. How does the recoil of the XVR compare? My problem with the 360PD I own it the blunt recoil placed through such a small area in the web of your hand. a cylinder of 357s and I'm good to go.

10. Silver96Firebird

Silver96Firebird New Member

I've also shot a 340PD with .357 mag. Its an experience. There is a pretty big explosion with a good size fireball. That said, it is managable, but you won't want to shoot more than one or two cylinders of 5 with it.

After shooting one, I decided to go with a 642 (38 special +P) It says +P rated right on the barrel, so you can shoot +P all day, and it doens't hurt your hands. It's only 3 oz heavier than the 340 and a few hundered bucks cheaper.

I figure, if your going to only shoot 38 +P, you might as well save some cash.

11. njftw

njftw New Member

I have the 340pd and just like everyone else is sainyg... I have only shot two(2) Federal Hydrashocks through it becuase it hurt so bad. I can't imagine having to use it in a life/death situation. I shoot mainly .38sp out of it, it is still an amazing recoil but you can't even tell you're carring it. And thats from a 5'11" 170lbs guy.

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

They kick like a mule, but you are getting .357 mag in a tiny package.