S video vs. opical cable vs. Component cables

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by B-Lo, Feb 18, 2003.

1. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

Which is the way to go and why?

2. 04

04 Guest

First of all, there is no optical video transmission medium that I know of. Certainly not any that you might be thinking about getting.

Obviously the Component cables are better than S video, but the picture quality from my experiences is not detectably better with component.

If you have the component video connection, by all means go for it.

Component is better because it seperates the cromiance and luminance to seperate channels, while the luminance is taken care of by one of the cables, the other two (Pb and Pr) each hold part of the green spectrum and blue and red color information, respectively.

Compare that with s-video which only has seperate cromiance and luminance channels, and composite which has all the picture information on one cable.

3. B-Lo

B-Lo The new beast mode :x:

I see.:bigthumb:

Thanks for the info.

4. source1tx

source1tx ..[DM/101]

dont waste your money on component cables unless you have a dvd player that has progressive scan. s-video will have a cleaner picture on a dvd player with out p.scan. you will get alot of DOT.CRAWL with the component cables if your dvd player isnt progressive scan.

5. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Composite cables will give you a lot of dot crawl, but any decent COMPONENT cables should completely eliminate that. Maybe you're getting the two confused? :dunno:

nice altezza

6. 04

04 Guest

And where do you get that information from? Did you just make it up? :ugh:

7. source1tx

source1tx ..[DM/101]

trust me i know what Im talking about. to tell you the truth I got a better picture out of my ps2 hooked up with s-video then out of my sOny dvd player hooked up with MONSTER component cables. no bull shit I was surprised 2 see the ps2 out perform it.

8. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest

Sorry but you really don't know what you're talking about.

Seriously... please understand, I'm trying to be nice about it. Component > S - Video

NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Learn how each work, then you'd understand.

042801 is a moderator on here for a reason. ;)

He knows his shit. And me, well I'm not a moderator, but I also know a shitload about this kinda stuff. It's just annoying when people open their mouths and say shit about home audio/video and they're totally wrong. Especially when we try to correct you and you still insist you are right.

9. 04

04 Guest

Ok. You still seem to be having problems. The difference between S-video and component is pretty small, perhaps you couldnt tell a difference at all. But you THOUGHT you saw a difference, and the S-video looked better.

Or, you are using a PS/2 for playing dvds then comparing it to a Sony unit? You cant compare two different units and then assume you had a good comparision. Why not compare s-video and component on the sony dvd player, that shouldnt be very hard to do.

Just so you know, component video uses 3 coaxial cables, and COMPOSITE uses one coaxial cable....

10. source1tx

source1tx ..[DM/101]

11. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

12. thegeneral

thegeneral Guest