S-Video cable/PS2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bing, Jan 1, 2004.

1. bing

bing Guest

ok,im not an electronic guru,so please no flaming. i've been looking online at s video cables and can't find a pic with both ends so i figured i'd ask on here. is it possible to get an s video cable for the ps2 to the tv?

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I don't remember if the PS2 has an "S video" out or not. If it does, then the answer is yes. Any RadioShack will have an SVHS cable in stock. Obviously your tv must have an SVHS input and most modern sets have this. If the PS2 only has an RGB out and/or a single video out, then the answer is no.

If your tv has an RGB (three seperate video lines) input, you'll have an even shaper picture if you use this than if you were to use the SVHS input. Using the single video line output/input will result in the poorest picture.

3. xivera

xivera Active Member

Sure, you can! Just get one of those PS2 S-video cables instead of using the regular PS2 cables (or, PS2 component cables). EB should have them. Of course, the connection from the PS2 will be its multi-out and the other end can be found to have either regular composite/S-video/component video output (w/ audio output).

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I looked at the back of my PS2 and found the multi-out that splits into a regular line input video and the digital output. These are the only outputs. Are you saying that someone makes a multi-out for the PS2 that terminated in an S-video input??? If so, I stand corrected....I also should have looked at the back of the PS2. I thought there was a component out but I was wrong. I guess I was thinking about the HD component out on my cable box.

5. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

6. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

monster cables are great! I use them for each of my console systems and DVD player!

7. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I picked up a cable at Best Buy that has the standard RCA plugs and then an S-Video for PS2. I noticed a difference in the picture quality almost immediately. Definitely a good investment for your PS2.