GUN S.F. gun shows in Newsom’s crosshairs v.today's headlines

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paul Revere, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

[​IMG]

SAN FRANCISCO (Map, News) - A city hit hard by gun violence should not have gun sales at its back door, said Mayor Gavin Newsom, who is expected to announce today that The City is seeking state legislation to end gun shows at the Cow Palace.

While the exhibition hall is technically located in Daly City, it is just blocks away from San Francisco’s Sunnydale Housing Project, one of many neighborhoods in The City plagued by gun violence.

Although the gun shows are legal, Newsom said numerous illegal gun transactions occur in the parking lot during the show, which will take place Saturday and Sunday. Another gun show is scheduled in November.

“It needs to be shut down, and we’re going to do our best to do that,” Newsom said.

Any effort to stop the gun shows would require a change in state law, however, because the Cow Palace is owned and operated by the California Department of Food and Agriculture.

Newsom said he and District Attorney Kamala Harris have enlisted the help of state Assemblyman Mark Leno to get the gun shows out of the Cow Palace.

Steve Lyle, a spokesperson for the state Department of Food and Agriculture, said he wouldn’t be able to comment on any possible legislation regulating what types of events could be held at the state facility until he saw the proposed wording. Bob Templeton, president of Crossroads of the West Gun Shows, did not return a call for comment.

The City is misguided in its efforts, National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said.

“If their intent is to curb crime, they should unequivocally put all the pressure on the criminal elements, not on law-abiding citizens,” said Arulanandam, who said a heavy presence of federal, state and local law enforcement at gun shows prevented what’s known as “straw purchasing,” in which a gun is legally bought and then sold illegally afterward.

Past undercover operations in the Cow Palace’s parking lot during the gun shows, conducted by the San Francisco Police Department, prove that such illegal transfers do happen, said Newsom, who hesitated when asked if such a sting operation was planned for this weekend.

“We’re going to be doing what’s appropriate,” Newsom said. “Obviously if we say it, no one will be out there.”

San Francisco has seen 64 homicides as of July 31 of this year, compared with 48 at the same time last year.

Illegal guns are responsible for the majority of shootings, according to city officials. Earlier this month, Newsom signed gun-control legislation in an effort to reduce illegal gun activity. The three pieces of legislation prohibit the possession or sale of firearms on city property, require firearms in residences to be in a locked container or have trigger locks, and require firearm dealers to submit an inventory to the chief of police every six months.

Firearms owners target proposed ordinances

While county ordinances banning firearms on government property continue to proliferate in the nine-county Bay Area, gun owners continue to fight what they call an attack on the law-abiding gun culture.

Since the late 1990s, four Bay Area counties — Alameda, Marin, San Mateo and Sonoma — have successfully passed ordinances banning gun possession on municipal property, including fairgrounds — which has left Cow Palace in Daly City one of the only venues for gun shows because of its location on state property.

Earlier this year, a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit by two gun show promoters that challenged Alameda County’s 1999 gun ordinance, ruling that it is a public-safety measure. An appeal of the ruling is under way.

Since Alameda County passed its ordinance — which was in response to a shooting at the Pleasanton fairgrounds the year before — the three other Bay Area counties have followed suit. Los Angeles County has also passed an ordinance.

“These local governments are taking advantage of a signal, although I think it is the wrong signal, that it’s deuces wild when it comes to passing gun law,” said Donald Kilmer, the attorney representing the gun show promoters challenging Alameda County. “Once we win against Alameda, we’ll challenge the other ordinances.” — Alexandria Rocha

[email protected]

[email protected]

http://www.examiner.com/a-872444~S_F__gun_shows_in_Newsom_s_crosshairs.html

cliffs: i guess if you ban gun shows, straw purchases and gun related crime will go away. who would have guessed

2. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

Not surprised.... San Francisco. :riaa:

3. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Funny how San Francisco and Chicago are trying to extend their anti-gun legislation outside their borders... DC probably has similar tactics.

Last I checked, San Francisco doesn't have a violence problem at all relative to other large cities.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

whats appropriate is that you should be focusing your resources and man power on something that will actually stop crime, not something that will increase it :sad2:

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i know rite? the cow palace is on state owned land, good luck on trying to get any leverage with that considering Newsom's piss-poor argument about straw purchases. i've NEVER read or heard about anyone being arrested outside the cow palace during or after a gun show :ugh2:

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

unfortunately, you'll never prove them wrong in their mind until they have abolished all legal weapon ownership and it doesn't change anything. Then they'll start blaming other countries for the violence problems that don't go away. Just look at the countries where weapons are already outlawed.

Of course, they'll never turn around and say "oh we were wrong" and start removing the weapons bans - it's always on to the next useless law.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:wtc: thats the worst part about CA. i love every other aspect of life here EXCEPT for the firearm laws. moving out of state is looking more and more appealing :hsd: whats a good class III state to move to? :o

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

AZ, TX, FL, CO, AL

I'd move to Alaska if I could :hs:

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

how is oregon?

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

don't know much about oregon actually, which I guess means it can't be TOO bad :rofl:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:dunno: i won't be doing anything for at LEAST 2 yrs while i finish school :hs:
    http://www.sanfrantees.com/gavin.htm

i want one of those, but something tells me my employers wouldnt approve (i work for the city :o)

12. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the plot thickens:

Legislation to ban the Cow Palace show is expected to be introduced today:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/09/BAGGPRFPC18.DTL

from the article:
    so crime increased 25% in 6 years AFTER gun control laws and legislation go into effect? :hsugh:

looks like we need more laws :coolugh::rolleyes:

13. Grouch

Grouch Guest

gavin newsom should go cheat on his wife some more.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i think they've already split up

15. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Canada is a great example of this. No, guns are not completely BANNED in Canada, but they have extremely strict laws and measures, especially against handguns.

Now look at them, every time you turn around they are blaming the UNITED STATES for all of their violence problems. As if to say "look, we've done our cracking down, we passed the laws... now YOU fix our problems. Since our laws didn't work."
    :sad2:

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

There's nothing you can't own in Oregon :)

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:naughty::cool::bowdown: i should take a drive up and check it out for a weekend or something :dunno:

18. Keesh

Keesh New Member

For sure man. Check out the Oregon hometown thread on AR15.com Lot of great guys there. We have a machine gun shoot every year, Practical Rifle and three gun matches every month. I have yet to make it to any of them but I'm really going to try this next month :hs: I'm missing out on a Classic Battle Rifle match they have this month too :(

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/gallery/3019882#165117380

There's some pics from the last MG shoot. I didn't make it but I'm definitely going next year.

Let me know if you decide to come up here for the weekend. If you wanna get together and shoot, or you need a place to stay, whatever.

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:cool: are you in portland (or surrounding area)? if i have my AR built i'll bring that and Un-california it for the trip :bigthumb:

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm all over the place right now. I'm moving to Corvallis at the end of this month which is about an hour and a half south of Portland.

21. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the farther south the better, less for me to drive :coolugh:

this trip probably wont happen until this winter, or maybe even next year :dunno:

22. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I'm gonna be there for a while. I just transfered schools and majors so It will be another 3 years for me :(

23. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Assault rock!

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I know. Someone ought to make a law to put an end to it :o

25. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

thats not what that statistic says... it just says the percentage of homicides that had a gun used increased, not the actual rate. there could have been 20 homicides this year, and 85% had a gun involved.

sanfran is just a bunch of idiots. i really dont understand why someone hasnt tried to take over them yet, it wouldnt be hard... just throw some marbles or something at them, they would surrender. i think france would put up a better fight then that pussy state.