RX7 Reliability?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Se7en, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Se7en

Se7en Active Member

I was thinking about picking up a '93 RX7 just to have fun with....

Ive heard from people that the rotaries ocassionally burn oil, etc., and arent extremely reliable. Ive worked with rotaries before (though on a smaller scale) and have experienced some of this, but just wanted some info from someone who has experience with mazda's motors.

Also, Ive read that Mazda did some work on the later model engines and made them more reliable.. how much truth is there to this and what changes were made?

Any advice you've got is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

the rotary is a damn good engine as long as you keep it tuned and maintained. The only probs that rx7's have are bad cooling systems, bad A/C and elctrical crap.

3. thafox

thafox Guest

i cant really agree with 'boosted98gsx' on his comment for the cooling sys, a/c, an electrical, but i do know that the 3rd gen's were notorious for having a touchy vacumm system, as for rotaries in general i'll give a big thumb's up on it, i've had mine for almost a yr (knock on wood) no major problem's have arose since also mine doesnt really burn oil at all either and it's an 85, i'd still say go for it as long as your not one of those ppl who think that a v8 is supiror to a rotary all because tha apex seal's go out faster than a crack lighter

4. Se7en

Se7en Active Member

Im not all about the V8, Ive got an S2000, so obviously not the case..

Thanks for the info... I'll wait around and see if i can get a deal.

5. Boosted98gsx

Boosted98gsx Active Member

well a friend of mine as an FD, and he actually puts oil in his gas to help lubricate the apex seals, kinda like what you'd do w/ a 2 stroke

6. thafox

thafox Guest

yea some ppl do that so they can keep track of the oil consumption better, i dont know how good it works out though never really tried it with mine, some ppl reccomend it some dont so i dont know

7. ItsStockOfficer

ItsStockOfficer Active Member

Rotaries inject oil from the engines supply into the engine.

8. thafox

thafox Guest

yea but some ppl after they rebuild it they put like a few drop's of oil in thier gas tank when they fill up for a reason i have yet to understand

9. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

how good are the1989-1990 rx7s, are the rx3s any good?

10. thafox

thafox Guest

89-90 havent heard many problem's from those, they had the higher compression rotor's and were a lil faster than the previous year's, rx3 IMO is freakin badass, i believe they came with 13b 4port carbed engine's but u can swap just bout anything in there if u can find a decently clean one that runs for less than a few grand u've got a hell of a deal...they're very hard to come by now and day's....good luck with your search man i hope u dont get ripped off and everything work's out good for u

11. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

i found one in japan for like 5 grand canadian, that is shipping and all paperwork, looks in good condition

12. dontothejuan

dontothejuan New Member

i know 3 people who had rx7's (2 with 88 turbo2's and the other was a fd) and they all had problems with the electrical system. the other problem is that you have to find a mechannic who can work on a rotary

13. spoolin7

spoolin7 Guest

because a lot of people get rid of the oil metering pump that injects the oil from the factory. when they do that, they are required to replenish the oil that goes into the combustion chamber somehow. that's why they pre-mix the oil with the gas. doing so will also allow you to run synthetic oil in the crankcase without worrying about it gumming up the combustion chambers and plugs

14. thafox

thafox Guest

is that a website or somethin that u found that? if so do u have that website?

15. TeamChin

TeamChin New Member

he is pretty much dead on...make sure if you do get one do all the reliability mods first...go to rx7club.com and search

16. Traffic

Traffic Guest

Has the engine been rebuilt, remanufactured? Most used RX7s I come across, the owner has done the reliability mods already.

17. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

hey thafox, the company that imports them is called import concern, they are a canadian company. shitloads of vehicles.

18. thafox

thafox Guest

do u have thier website if any? because if i do a search for concern car importer's it's gonna come up with somethin else other than the site im lookin for...thnx

19. krazy-p

krazy-p New Member

i dont know how do link websites, just type in importconcern or concerns.com

20. rx7slideways

rx7slideways Guest

its probobly due to a bad pulsation dampener. typical problem with the s4 rx7's. if you buy a 86-91 rx7 check out rx7club.com read the F.A.Q on top of the second gen forum .. you will see a how to buy . it will go over most of the things common found wrong or non working on the 2nd gen rx7's or fcs. i bought one that didnt run , need a clutch , flywheel and a load of other work .. i patched it back together and know im in love with the car. i cant let it go. if you can find one with low miles or with a recent rebuild for cheap go for it . i love mine. actually my 2 . hehe got a na and a t2.

21. finalflash

finalflash New Member

i know for a fact that the series 8 rx7 .. or the 99-2003 models.. had improved cooling ducts.. that it divided intakes for the radiator and the intercooler where as the older FD's shared a common intake and when overheated found that power dropped in a stock engine..
    lol... i hope that made sense...

but as to the reliability of the rotor.. well it is reliable if treated well.. ie : servicing and maintenance.. but if u dont the rotor will not be as resiliant to mistreatment like a piston engine will..
    on the plus side rebuilding rotors is cheap and easy to get big power out of them..
    in australia anyway...

22. Id suggest hitting the RX7club.com website as well as search for the rx7 buyers guide on google. (cant find the link at the moment). There is a lot of things to consider when buying a 3rd gen. First off you will need to do a lot of preventitive maintenance on the car when you get it. A few aftermarket upgrades are almost required to keep the car running well. I would never own one as a primary vehicle. Too many issues. Oh and the cold start problem is nice. Can never shut it off and turn it back on right away.