rx-8's are slow POS's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mantis, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Mantis

Mantis Guest

i test drove one yesterday and all i can say is i'm extremely disappointed. really, what was all the damn hype about for this car? has a 9000 redline, you'd think that the power would come towards the top end. nope, i watched the tach needle climb, which felt like eternity, and as it was getting closer to redline, i was wondering when the power would begin to kick in. it never did. the 03 accord V6 AUTO that i test drove felt faster than this. probably coz it has more torque but if you think hondas have no torque, try driving this car.

at that point, i decided to see if this car's handling can make up for its lack of balls just a little bit. even here i was left disappointed. the suspension is too soft, not aggressive enough. i was in a hard corner, the car leaned too much IMO, and there happened to be a dip in the road. talk about an unsettling feeling. i didnt' feel in control of the car at all.

needless to say, i'm crossing the rx-8 off my shopping list. wasn't plannig on even looking at the rx-8, but i decide why the hell not? i would never pay what they're asking for for this car. well, to the rx-8 fans out there, if it works for you, good for you. but as far as i'm concerned, this car is way overrated and overpriced for what it is.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2003
  2. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

doesnt suprise me.

Ever tried looking at BMW's? :nuts:

3. BlueBlur

BlueBlur Guest

that car was a disapointment

4. yust4

yust4 New Member

it was a disappointment but the things they accomplished with the engine are impressive. They just need to slap a few more rotors on there and that car will be back in buisness.

5. AsianRage

AsianRage Know about Media Ventures?

6. Mantis

Mantis Guest

no, it was the 6 speed.

7. sduquette

sduquette Guest

It's a mazda, I wouldn't expect much from a mediocre company like that. 350z should be much more fun to drive, same with g35, there is also the 3-series and IS300 if you need passengers, all are sporty and fun.

8. Mantis

Mantis Guest

as much as i would love a G35 coupe, i can't afford it. not that the rx-8 would have been that much better, but i thought i'd just give it a test drive. i drove the G35 coupe and i love that car and believe me, if it wasn't out of my budget, it'd be sitting in my garage right now. i think i'm gonna go with an 04 accord coupe V6 6 speed, that's if i can find one. 3 series came out too much after adding all the options that i want. plus maintenance costs are a factor too. i think the accord is the best buy for me right now.

9. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Sorry, didn't know if fwd was a consideration. I test drove a v6 6 spd coupe the other day, I really like that car, beautiful interior, I would live in it. It priced out at $26k, one hell of a bargain if you ask me, the thing is acura quality. By all means, you would be making a good choice. I don't know how far you are from NM, but the dealer hear in albuquerque has one silver with black leather

10. 2.5RS

2.5RS Guest

What do you drive speedy?

11. Crunks

Crunks Active Member

Yeah, the RX-8 may be over-rated. But I just read in Sport Compact Car about some mode the RX-8 gets into at high rpm. Apparently it goes into some "save-the-cat-mode" where the computer kinda somehow lowers the horsepower or something because of the rotary engines super-hot exhaust gases could cause the catylic converter to melt down. I guess you lose a lot of power when that kicks in. I don't remember what else it said, but if you wanna know, go read the mag.

12. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

We watched a stock RX-8 smoke plenty of cars on the autocross. So it may not be the fastest in a straight line, but damn they can handle. Overall, I am impressed with the car and expect higher horsepower ratings in the next few years.

13. CruD

CruD Bah, I'll just hack it

i love my 8 :dunno: its fast.

14. TXTurbo930

TXTurbo930 As a matter O' fact I do have Booooost! OT Supporter

Slow and fugly!

15. Akira714

Akira714 New Member

The horsepower is also limited for emissions purposes. With some proper tuning you can get back the restricted hp. (Which is around 250.0 bhp)

By no means, is the Rx-8 a replacement for the FD Rx-7. I see it as a luxury spin off. The interior is alot better, and it's a four door.

16. Mantis

Mantis Guest

you have no clue, do you? the rx-8 in stock form is slow. just accept the FACT. overrated, slow and did i mention OVERRATED?? i'm not sayin it's a bad car, just not what it was all hyped up to be. what was all this talk about the rx-8 being comparable to the 350z? the 350z kicks this car's ass ten fold. sorry, the car's slow. that's all there is to it.

there is talk this and talk that. who gives a fuck? whatever version you're talking about doesn't exist at this moment. there's a lot of talk about a lot of cars. :slap:

17. Mantis

Mantis Guest

i've had 9 years of driving experience with manual, and i've never owned an automatic. i highly doubt my shifting is the problem. and why would i not take it past 6000rpm? you would think the power would come afterwards and not before but it didnt' pull any harder than it did below 6000. i think the problem lies in the slowness of the car :fawk:

and is 14.5 supposed to impress me for a $33,000 "sports car"??

18. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Dude, no 6k, maybe it has VTEC or something, I bet they run 10's if you get that far

19. Section8

Section8 .

First off, I love Mazda, and the 8, but the 8 is NOT a sports car.

Second, Mazda had to make a compromise with the suspension on the car, because if it was too firm, it just wouldn't do for every day driving (again, another reason why i don't think they should call it a sports car)

That second point said, I think the car handles extremely well. True, it doesn't have the low end grunt that the Z has (driven that as well) but I felt the car handled every bit as well as the Z, and the car definately did not feel slow. It's not as fast as the 7, but then again, it's not a replacement for the 7 either.

Also, the build quality and materials of the 8 are leaps and bounds beyond the Z. That was the one area that the Z really disappointed me.
    Looks...well, looks are subjective. I've found that you either love the 8, or hate it..there's no in-between. I like it a lot at first, but once I saw it in person, I thought it looked even better.

Just my .02

20. 2.5RS

2.5RS Guest

Hmmmm, sad that you did not answer my question....leads me to believe that you might have a car that has LESS then the 238hp that the RX8 has?

Easy to come into a car forum and talk crap about a car.

Again: What do you drive speedy?

21. Mantis

Mantis Guest

sorry, i missed that. no i don't drive a car that's in the same class as the rx-8 per se. i drive a honda prelude. and in case you are wondering, it will smoke the rx-8. ok, maybe not smoke it, but it will beat one. grant it my car's modified but we're not talkin about my car. i'm actually gettin a new car and decided to try out the rx-8 and like i said above, it's not on my shopping list anymore.

sorry fool, not everyone has to like a car coz you happen to like it. i still think the rx-8 is slow and overrated. if you don't agree, fine. i'm not going to change my mind about the rx-8 based on a couple people who think everyone should like the car coz they drive mazdas or something or other. so far you've said nothing.

22. dragenscorp

dragenscorp Guest

Somebody sounds a lot like a hostile little guy. Also sounds like somebody needs to look up the word "fact" before he starts looking any dumber than he already has.

How can anybody say what is fast and what isn't? Say it's not fast TO YOU, but don't shove it down our throats like we have to agree. The 8 has plenty of power for me and for most ENTHUSIASTS. I wouldn't expect a Honda owner to understand that though.

From where I sit, the 350z you mentioned is the one that's OVERRATED. First off, I wouldn't be caught DEAD in something that ugly. Second, so it's faster; with a bigger engine and more power, uh..hello, shouldn't it be? Too bad that's where its advantages END. After that, the 8 starts to shine; better braking, better handling, and also practical stuff like more room, nicer interior, better fit and finish, better warranty, MUCH MUCH better transmission, etc etc. I personally can't think of ONE reason to buy a Z over an 8, not ONE. If someone GAVE me one, I'd TOW it down to a Mazda or BMW dealer and trade it IMMEDIATELY.

23. dimo

dimo New Member

Yeah we had abit of a race with a rx-8(auto) and a Golf VR6 with minor mods to try to see how the RX-8 handles. The RX-8 was very disappointing as the golf kept up easily.

24. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Nissan v6, the pillar of reliable engines, Mazda rotary, the pillar of unreliable engines. Reason enough

25. Mantis

Mantis Guest

just check this video out. the rx-8 isn't there but the 350z is and it certainly beat an s2000, an m3 and a porche. i doubt the rx-8 could even hang. the m3 has more power than the 350z but it couldn't hang. and the only reason it passed the s2000 is coz the s2000 driver fucked up on one turn.

go to this site, scroll down and click on the link posted by username Saint:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=143670&page=2

well fuck. if you can get this video to work for you. you'll see.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2003